HybridZ

Finishing up the TT350, a few problems

dr_hunt

Well, got the engine and trans installed, started putting on the exhaust manifolds and turbo's. RUH ROH! The downpipe on the driver side interferes with the steering shaft and there is basically no way to get around it on the side, but it looks like I can go towards the rear of the manifold and down the back past #7 cylinder.

So, I'm going to finish it up, get it started and make sure everything works, get initial tune, etc. Then trailer it to Alb. to see a guy named Tyler. Good kid does fab tig welding. Have him fab me new downpipes for both sides, weld in the O2 bungs, ext. wastegates and evac bungs. Going to go 3" stainless. My flanges are 3" and it necks down to 2.5 inch, but I'm guessing that later I'm going to want to run GT40's or GT42's so I'd better go 3" now.

Got to get this project out of the shop so I can take alittle trip to California and pick up the new HybridZ project car!!!!

Stay tuned folks................................

Hey Doc, I'm sure you've already thought about it but it's just an idea. When I install my subaru powersteering rack it had a side benfit, it created more header space. Now I'm not saying to install PS. but how about and extension on the existing splined shaft out of the rack? or do what the Hot Rodders do and double joint the steering shaft?:D

Actually, it's a 4 bolt flange, TO4 Rayjay 300E turbo.

Looked very closely at putting in some borgelson u-joints but it's a no go there.

V-band isn't going to help matters here much. I was looking at Chris Chow's TT GN and he had the same problem. Solution for him was to exit out the fender right in front of the door. I could do that but the car is already painted and I'm not going to butcher the car. It is a full street trim, power window, tilt, cruise, A/C, Alpine stereo. Really it could be a show car and once I get it done, it'll probably get in a few shows, just to see how it does.

Actually, playing with turbo selectors last night a pair of GT35's will probably do what I want or even a pair of T62-1's might be better.

For now though I want to try these out. I'm going to have to get a 10 clutch high drum for the PG to handle that kind of power anyway and yank the trans for a major at some point before turning the boost up.

I'll snap a pic for you all to look at and post up later.

I don't know about you but this is giving me ideas for the next hybridz car build.

Rivet some nice stainless plates where the exhaust exit's so it won't ruin the paint. I have no idea what your car looks like, but they've always looked nice on any car I've seen them on. Plus, I think it would befit the power you are putting out.

Here is the car, you can kind of see the flames change colors in the shop lights.

P8290097.JPG

This is a shot of the interior of the car. I installed the hurst quarter stick shifter in the stock location with minimal cutting of the stock shifter cover. I think it looks good.

P8290098.JPG

Nice looking car. Looking forward to some pics of the engine and turbos.

Me too! Man, that's a serious looking Monte and I like the flames a lot. The white and silver motif is subtle, yet still classy but edgy as well. Whoever designed the flames did one heck of a job...

Davy

Me too! Man' date=' that's a serious looking Monte and I like the flames a lot. The white and silver motif is subtle, yet still classy but edgy as well. Whoever designed the flames did one heck of a job...

Davy[/quote']

Thanks guys, the flames are one off custom hand done, they are not symmetrical side to side of the car like most flames. The silver paint is spectra flair, changes color in the light, $100/gram in dry flakes that you mix in clearcoat. Kind of goes rainbow prism effect, might be gold, purple, blue, green. Looks cool at night on the street.

I got the PS, alt, pulleys and stuff on last night, I forgot I used all the brackets on the '33 dodge so I had to get new ones. Looking now for an A-pillar gauge pod to mount the new ultralight gauges where I can see them but I'm having alot of trouble finding a 3 gauge pillar. I wanted oil, water and boost.

What is left is driveline, fuel system, gauges, rad, shroud, belts, TQ converter bolts, dizzy, turbo's, WG's, turbo plumbing, fluids and fire it up. Maybe by another week or two.

Then I want to get the rings seated well before I get crazy. This motor has hardblok short fill so we'll see how that acts on the street as far as cooling goes.

Yes, it clears the stock "cowl induction hood" just fine. Actually if it still had the stock hood, it'd clear that too. My intake is a dated "scorpion" intake by Edelbrock that I had laying around.

I'd do the fender exhaust but it is a street car and I really don't want to mess up my paint job, so that's a no go there. I'll look around and see what other options are available, while I"m cussing Gale Banks and their statement that it fits all GM chassis since the g-body was around in the 70's through the '80's when this was developed.

Chris Chow's car is really nuts, 7's in a g-body at 175+mph!!! That's a ken duttweiller built 396 cubic inch sbc if I remember correctly, has 18 degree brodix heads. Those are not light weight mustang type cars. Mine weighs 3550 with a half tank of gas.

While this car isn't in the same category as chris chow's car, I'm still thinking I can lay down over 800rwhp with this setup and be in the high 9's.

I still have to call thaagard for one of his custom intercoolers, which is next, then I think I can lay down 1000+rwhp.

John' date=' you have one too?!!! You sound just like me, motors everywhere and a monte in the shadow's.

Pic's?[/quote']

Looks aweseome. Go with the GT35s a MUCH better turbo than the 62-1s.

The Red TwinTurbo Ford GT has GT35s on it and spool is great. On that engine it would be even better. Made 1kwhp at 22.5 lbs of boost. Another one made 910 on pump gas and 18lbs of boost. All with only 5.4 Liters of Displacement.

Keep up the good work Elmer.