HybridZ

Stub Axle pulling and upgrading

rudypoochris

Yesterday in the JY I found a 280z with a R200 and thought it would be a sweet stub axle upgrade for my 240z. Unfortunately once the halfshafts were off I relized my biggest socket (15/16") wasn't going to cut it.... Does anyone happen to know what size socket is needed so I might go purchase it?

It looked to be about 27-30mm across!! Also if it is that big of a socket do you think I will be able to break it in the Junkyard without a pipe?

Can that big nut be reused, or is there a simple replacement, since it looked like the edges of the nut were bent onto flats.

Lasty do I use the 240z spacers and bearings or do I go with the 280z versions?

Sorry I do not have my service manual down here. I did search but got inconclusive results on most of this stuff. Thanks for the help!

That nut is 27mm and I don't believe it can be re-used. I ground the peened portions off of mine before I pulled them, so mine are spent for sure. You will need a pipe or a long breaker bar to pull them.

A suitable replacement nut that won't require peening comes from a 280zx. You should be able to find the part number for that by searching. I think I have it written down at home.

You'd be better off just removing the strut and the control arm and disconnecting the halfshaft and cutting the brake line. The nut should be ground away as Pete mentioned, otherwise you'll wipe out the threads on the stub axle when you take the nut off. Plus that sucker is torqued on there TIGHT, so it's a lot easier to take it home where you can at least put it in a vise, if not take an impact gun to it.

Guest DISCUS

I just finished that task and found that a good penetrating oil made a huge difference in removing the nut! I also ground off the flattend portion! They are torqued on extremely tight! ended up putting the strut in a secure vise after removal and using the air tools to remove! JY removal would require long bar and penetrating oil. Good luck

Sounds familiar. After several unsuccessful attempts with a breaker bar, I put the wheel/tire back on the hub, stood on the tire with the strut between my feet and used the air impact wrench. Off in no time. Although I did feel a bit goofy in the process. :cool: