HybridZ

Help with offset AHHH

Guest Kevinw

Guest Kevinw

Search turned up no clear answer.

Would a 15x6.5 rim with +5 offset and 15x7 rim with +13 offset work on my stock suspension equiped 280zx 2-2

Thanks

I'm gonna go with no. As it stands the 280zx has 15x6.5 rims with "0" offset. If I am not mistaken that leaves you with about an 1" of clearance from the spring/strut assembly. You could probably get away with +5 offset. But with the 15x7 and +13 offset I am gonna say know. One solution would be to get spacers. I am not exactly sure why you want rims with those specs. I would think if you are going to get new rims that you would want ones that eliminate the "sunken battleship" look. I think your best bet would be some 15x8" rims not exactly sure what offset to use though.

Here, do all of us 280zx owners a favor (PLEEEEASE :D ). Measure you stock wheel

(width ways edge to edge). Then with the wheel on the car measure the distance between the edge of the wheel and the spring/strut assembly. Then measure from the inside mounting surface of the wheel to the inside most edge of the wheel (closest to the middle of the car edge). From there we can determine possible wheel fitments, backspacings, and offsets. I do know for a fact that a 15x8 wheel will give a nice flush (with outside of fender) fit, I am just not sure what the magic offset is. With these specs I could probably give you a realistic number to work with though.

I have some Prime FWD 16x7 wheels on my '83 ZXT, using 1/4" spacers.

I'm sure that I have at least 15mm positive offset w/ the spacers and I am ruunning 225/50's in the rear and 205/55's up front with pleanty of clearance.

I actually had enough clearance without the spacers, but it was a bit tight.

You should be fine.