HybridZ

Side pipes Stock Engine 260z

surfsnake2

I was wondering if someone could give me some info on side pipes on the stock inline six, what is the best way to run side pipes? My guess was to weld it to the header where its comes into 2 pipes, and then run off some custom pipes into 90's for the side pipes. But if anyone has actually ever done this and can give some more detailed information on what I need to do that would be great pics would be great also. Also some info on how high they should be mounted to not worry about ground clearance (hitting speed bumps) would be nice

Thanks

I've never seen a stock Z with sidepipes but can tell you this about speed bumps. There is no magic number for clearance. I have to scout every parking lot and every entrance and exit for their angles. I have 4 1/2 in. clearance and that's the best I could do. This was gained by notching the frame rail. If you swap a V-8 in your car I can give you lots of details and pics....

LARRY

well the drivers side is not that hard. I would go over the frame rail and cut out the rocker panel and weld in about a third of a 4" pipe so that you can tuck the pipe in close. Sort of like a Daytona Coupe. Instead of running a huge expensive set of pipes I would get some tubing and some glaspack mufflers and turnouts and make it to fit just right. I'd cut out the bottom front corner of the fender too to get the pipe closer to the body.

Well I went ahead and ordered them in, and I will do some work to see how to mount them for ground clearance, these are 3" with a heat shield so im assuming about 3.5" - 4" total. And Cozy could you post me some pics or email them to me of the side pipes on your Z so I can see how you mounted them? And does anyone know about how how the heat shields will get? I have heard that the heat will transfer through the brackets and they will get just as hot, but I went ahead and bought some exhaust wrap for them to wrap the area under the shields. Hopefully it will help some, I would hate to see any burns come from this. Does anyone know how much heat the exhaust wrap will stop? I dont mind if it still makes the heat shields get hot but not hot enough to burn someone badly.

Hi Larry,

How is the sound with those side pipes? do you mind record a sound clip or video for us? I am in the planning stage how to build my sidepipes for my ls1 daytona coupe project. I have the stock SS C5 headers that I modified to fit into my Z now but I think I will custom build my headers to work with the side pipes. I want to build the headers to come straight out from the block and go thru the fender well above the frame rails. Then make a slight bend toward the back and down to the inlets of the sidepipes. On the driver side I have to move the brake lines and route them some where else. Other than that the passenger side is all open. The other concern I have is how do I reenforce that areas after I cut 2 big holes in the fender well. I have checked and I have plenty of room behind the front wheels for the pipes to come out in that area.

I know it will be a lot of work and $$ but I want the sidepipes to tuck away and up high just like the original Daytona coupe. What do you guys think of my ideas?

Thanks

Vinh

Surf,

sorry for hi jacking your post.

DYNO_RUN_5-10-05_001_2_.jpg

This run is at 10lb boost with iron heads. Let's just say the 195 AFR heads plus a couple other changes like lift, bee hive springs, and roller rockers has improved these numbers shown.... My problem now is wheel spin from a dead stop at WOT. It's a street car so 225-50-15 tires are it but I still like to "spank" them at the light. I've got a raced prepped TH-350 with 2400 stall and a mild cam.

I went to AFR heads because you'll notice at 4200 rpm I started to flatten out. That's changed now...:2thumbs:

Sorry for the thread subject change..

LARRY

Not bad larry, It is probably like mine, all from the get go. At wot it is instant power, no lag. My setup 6-71, the harder I turn it the more power I make.

Thanks for the info.

DYNO_RUN_5-10-05_001_2_.jpg

This run is at 10lb boost with iron heads. Let's just say the 195 AFR heads plus a couple other changes like lift' date=' bee hive springs, and roller rockers has improved these numbers shown.... My problem now is wheel spin from a dead stop at WOT. It's a street car so 225-50-15 tires are it but I still like to "spank" them at the light. I've got a raced prepped TH-350 with 2400 stall and a mild cam.

I went to AFR heads because you'll notice at 4200 rpm I started to flatten out. That's changed now...:2thumbs:

Sorry for the thread subject change..

LARRY[/quote']

• 3 weeks later...
Well I went ahead and ordered them in, and I will do some work to see how to mount them for ground clearance, these are 3" with a heat shield so im assuming about 3.5" - 4" total. And Cozy could you post me some pics or email them to me of the side pipes on your Z so I can see how you mounted them? And does anyone know about how how the heat shields will get? I have heard that the heat will transfer through the brackets and they will get just as hot, but I went ahead and bought some exhaust wrap for them to wrap the area under the shields. Hopefully it will help some, I would hate to see any burns come from this. Does anyone know how much heat the exhaust wrap will stop? I dont mind if it still makes the heat shields get hot but not hot enough to burn someone badly.

where did you find 3" pipes? all Ive been able to find is 2" so far.