HybridZ

Big time problems showing up

Ahhh, working on cars. You spend all day fixing one thing and something else acts up.

Ok like I said, this is all a big lesson for me, Im learning a LOT. So, as I got the oil pan back on a week ago, I noticed it was indented. I showed my mechanic friend, he said it looked like someone jacked the car up on the oil pan (!!!!!) and that it was VERY bad. He said the oil is drawn from a quarter inch gap at the bottom of the oil pan, and if it doesnt get any oil, the oil pressure is really bad. Stupidly, I wrote this off (till today), he told me to get a new oil pan asap.

So 3 days later (today) Im cruising, car is fine, nice sunny day, when the valves go CRAZY. They start snapping and rattling like nuts, so I drive the car slowly home (20 mins). I buy a new oil pan and oil pickup from summit, 2 day shipping, and hope that I can:

a)put on the new oil pan and pickup

b)adjust the valves

c)be happy and drive it

but my mechanic friend told me there could be further damage. Im not driving it till I get the oil pan i nthe mail (also, spent 9 hours taking off the gas tank and fixing the leak, ran all new lines so thats ok). Anyways, Im open to any and all advice, references, and suggestions as to what Im doing wrong, if anything. Thanks in advance.

No oil gauge. Its on my list now.

I dont know if its hydraulic or solid. Its a 84 camaro engine, 305 5.0 liter.

I have literally no oil on my top end. I just got done with a hour long conversation with him, he said possible permenant damage could be a rounded off cam, and the bent in oil pan has been like this since I got the car. So ho boy, this could be why I dont get as much power as I expect from it. Updates to come, Im pulling valve covers to check for valve damage.

If you have other damage, it's likely bearings, cam, lifters, might have galled the rockers too. If you did, take this fine opportunity to build a 350 and experience some more power. Even if you buy a crate GM engine for $1700 it'll run alot better than the 305.

I agree. A 305 is a good engine to beat up on and learn from. Oil pressure gauge is NOT an option! I like the Nissan guage because as soon as you lose pressure the light comes on immediately before the needle has time to move all the way down. Live and learn, then ditch the boat anchor :D .

Yeah, back in the days, I had a 1976 v8 vega, let a buddy drive it and he smashed the oil pan on a rock, I told him i had to pull it and fix it, he thought it'd be alright. Shelled out the next day! Been there done that already!

Wisdom of experience is great, just that some of the experience that lead to the wisdom was not so good and expensive.

I got a question (sorry about hijacking the thread) but what does it mean if my oil gauge only reads sometimes, the only time it reads is when i'm sitting still at idle (and the neddle is shaking in the middle vigorously)... otherwise it's always far right not even on the scale... Is there a short in the connection or somthing?

Ansel,

Have you received the Summit oil pan and pickup yet? Did you order the G3503X? Any comments about fit/quality?

You see, I have a similar situation but the engine is far from being run. It's a '95 Carprice LT1 that I got off ebay. I noticed some wrinkles in the sides of the oil pan that I figure got there from the pounding the oil pan got by the engine coming cross country (it was resting on the oil pan sump and a stack of 2x4s under the front of the pan). I was going to ignore it until you related your tale of woe, so I figure I owe you. Next time you're in San Antonio, the beer's on me.

Now to hijack the thread since the rest of this is all about me. :wink:

The Summit oil pan says it's for up to '95 but it has a dipstick provision. My LT1 has a block mounted dipstick so I assume simply plugging the one in the pan will be OK (maybe I'll just run two dipsticks so I can brag about dual dipsticks in my sig...), and I recognize this pan won't have the oil level sensor boss, which I'm fine living without. But the question is, is the LT1 oil pan different from Gen 1 SBCs in any significant way?

Anyone know?

Hey,

No Im still waiting on it, hopefully shows up before I move later this week. I rewired a bunch of switches while I am waiting, to notice my windshield wipers decided not to work. So thats fun. Ill let everyone know as soon as it shows up, and I bolt it on and adjust the valves. My mechanic friend said as long as there was no REAL noise (all I heard was the valves) then the engine should be ok.

Very big lesson learned here. DONT ignore oil pressure.