HybridZ

my stereo cuts out under boost

GrayZee

Ha ha ha.. Strange problem huh? Well actually it's on purpose..

See I recently upgraded my alky injection system to run two separate pumps. The first one kicks in at 5psi and the second one kicks in at 12psi to run a auxilary sprayer. During the install I was thinking about what a PITA it is to always turn the stereo off everytime I plan on driving my car hard (I like to hear the engine while under heavy boost) Never know when you might hear something bad.. (like pinging)

Anyway, I had the idea to run my stereo's power through the 12psi pump relay. The stereo gets the output power normally and when the 12psi switch is triggered, it energizes the relay and breaks the circuit, and transfers it over to the sprayer pump. The power recieved comes directly from the battery so I run a second relay just before the stereo to break the circuit unless the key is turned to ACC or ON.

I'm surprised how well it works! A friend said it would be annoying having the stereo cut out everytime you got on the boost. Well under any boost at all, I would agree, but at 12psi my thoughts turn to the road. The fact the stereo cuts out is something that I don't even notice until it comes on again, and it's volume switch is the type that slowly goes back to it's set volume whenever it is turned back on.

This way I always get to hear the engine over the stereo without always having to make a point of turning it off first.

Haha, on my 280zxt I had one of those $50 CD players with a digital tuner (aka they must have cut costs somewhere...) that would do the same thing.

That and it didn't play CDs when it was too cold haha.

I don't drive with the radio anymore, I really like the turbo whistle and psshh of the BOV.

Mario

are you still having success using the washer pumps to spray the alky???

Yeah, actually when I added my second pump I had to take it apart as it was not working. I was amazed how minty the inside of the electric motor looked. I guess over 20+ years how much use does a headlight washer really get anyway? Turned out that the rubber vanes on the pump were just dry and needed some priming. Just letting fluid gravity feed into it wasn't enough, I actually had to fill a hose with water going to the input and blow through it with my mouth. After a minute I could see water seeping out of the oulet. After that the pump worked perfectly. Later on I looked at a pump that my buddy had but said didn't work. Turned out I got it working too, it was suffering from the same problem.

Next summer I plan to upgrade to a Shurflo pump as I'm also getting a bigger turbo and will be running higher boost (maybe around 20+psi) As the charge pipe pressure rises I think I'll need a higher pressure pump to overcome the pressure in the charge pipe and still spray nicely. The headlight washer will only give me about 55psi and I'll be wanting more. For 15psi of boost, I would say the headlight washer pump works just fine and likely will have a long lifespan yet.

How do I wire the radio to turn on whenever my wife starts to complain about me driving too fast...under boost. :wink:

Ha ha ha.. That would be easy to wire up but I would suggest a couple of amps, subs ect. to make sure you had the volume required to overcome the decibels from your wife.

Let me know if you are interested and I'll email you a scematic. LOL