HybridZ

Suspension Direction

I have a '71 240z that I'm planning, to use for the track. I need help with what setup would be best, without going fully custom. I've read posts with all different kinds of setups, but I'm not sure where to start first, and

just want to get started in the right direction, not just start ordering parts. I'm in the southern california area, so if you guys know of any shops w/experience in track cars, or just some helpful advice, any info would be appreciated. thanks you.

More info would be helpful. What kind of track car? SCCA racer, open track, time trialer? Are there rules that have to be met with the group you'll run with, or can you just slap anything on there? What kind of tires will you be running? Budget?

There's a ton of stuff you can do from bolt on to cutting and welding on the chassis. The main limitation of the stock chassis is that it has no adjustability except front toe. You need to be able to tune the chassis so that the tires can work properly. That's really the goal.

I have a '71 240z that I'm planning' date=' to use for the track. I need help with what setup would be best, without going fully custom. I've read posts with all different kinds of setups, but I'm not sure where to start first, and

just want to get started in the right direction, not just start ordering parts. I'm in the southern california area, so if you guys know of any shops w/experience in track cars, or just some helpful advice, any info would be appreciated. thanks you.[/quote']

JohnC is in La Habre (if I spelled that right)

He built arguably the best handling Z car on the site. He also sells suspension stuff from his company beta motor sports.

Go to JohnC's user profile and check out his web site.

Springs and shocks are a must, whether you do coilovers is up to you, but that would allow you to adjust ride height. In the back I'd do G Machine camber bushings, but I'd do that for toe adjustment. For the rest of the bushings I'd go polyurethane, except the TC rod. On that I'd go poly in the front and one of your old rubber bushings in the back. Then I'd get some bolt in EMI camber plates from John C.

Maybe some adjustable TC rods and some strut tower bars as well.