HybridZ

Twenty year dream

Sometime in the mid 80's I read an article in a car mag about how John's Cars had developed a kit for putting a small block in a Z car. One day I was in Dallas and went by the shop and talked to John about the project. When I left I told myself someday I want to do that with a fuel injected small block.

Someday happened yesterday. I started. Knowing myself, I have to do all the "Other stuff" before I put the LS1 in the car or I will never do the "other stuff".

Last night I took out the R-200 to put in a LSD. The half shfts came out okay but when I went to the drive shaft I had two thoughts. First, I'm glad they don't tax "stupid" because then I would have to get a part time job to pay the tax. The second thought was that I need to tell my kids I'm sorry for sharing my genes with them. This is my long winded way of saying it did not go well. It took me an hour to find the secret path and touch the first bolt with a wrench. The wrong size I might add that rounded the nut. Since it took me another hour to get the !#% thing out, I figure that the completion date for this project may be another 20 years.

I tell you all this in an attempt to make you laugh and maybe like me in my misery because:

Once I got the unit on the ground next to the LSD, I saw how much the finned cover adds to the back. I remember reading two ways to solve this problem. First, use the plate off the non-LSD. Number two I can't remember. I know you guys are big on doing a search. I promise I did. For several hours but I could not find the second option. I figure that the added oil and the fins are there for a purpose so it would be better to keep them.

Please help.

oh yeah how much fun can a guy have lying on there back under a lovely datsun diff getting covered in crap for those bloody 4 bolts that flamin lucifer him self designed ive spent many hours with my car haveing that fun and even more so when some clown puts extra long bolts in there and only 3 match rahhh hope the rest goes well oh and im not sure because ive been away from my dato for a while but isent there a steped rear bar for that cover?

Well, my twenty year dream is to marry Jessica Simpson. Of course, by that time I'll be an old geezer without teeth and she wouldn't give me the time of day. Of course, she just may go for it because I'll have a pile of cash and I'll be about to kick the bucket.

LMAO!! At least you have a chance in hell, more than a lot of us.

like most guys my budget won,t allow me to do nearly what Id like to do at the rate Id like to do it! (especially since my garage building project has used so much of my saved and future budget)

but don,t get discouraged, it takes BOTH time and skills PLUS money and the time, can be used in research to make your project better

VinhZXT, never mind. I just took my laptop out to the garage and looked at both the picture and my car and I see what you did. The only questio I have is, did you put any kind of spacer between the old bracket and the new cross bar before you welded it? Thanks again.

Barbom,

No.. I didn't put anything between. I guess you figured it out. I cut the middle piece and bolt the 2 ends up then I just put a 1" bar accross and pull it toward the back a little to give it some slack between the cover and the new cross bar. Then weld it in to the old mounts (both front and back). Very simple and very effective. GL.

Vinh