HybridZ

302 First Drive

Just Jim

Took the car for a drive today. Runs pretty good for a newly completed swap and seems like it might run my goal of low 12's in the 1/4. But,the Mallory Hi Fire ignition box which is mounted near the windshield washer bottle was almost too hot to touch due to the underhood heat. Guess this is why the factory put vents in the hood on later 280's?I'm going to relocate the ignition box to the front side of the radiator support behind the grille. All the heat under the hood must be normal,huh?

I picked up a '78 hood at the junk yard but am having a hard time finding the vents for it. If there were a local place to punch louvers in the stock hood I'd do that. Both my Morris and Falcon have louvered hoods which made quite a difference in cooling letting the hot air escape.The place that punched the louvers years ago is no longer in business.

I'm going for another test drive today. The car is fun to drive and much quieter than my Morris which is like driving a 10 second V8 powered trash dumpster.

I mounted my ignition box inside the car. Its on the upper front of the passenger side of the car. Its high enough so passenger's feet do not hit it and its easy to change the rev limiter chips from inside the car.

It fits nicely and I dont have to worry about the heat of the engine, water from rain etc..

Ferd