HybridZ

sr diff question

280zjoel

If you instal an sr20det in your z you need to cut the driveshaft shorter right? my question is, is it possible to do a z32 300zx lsd swap into the 280z so that the driveshaft wont have to be shortened. i know it might be more work but 300zx lsd's are alot easier to get than the long nose diffs, also is it possible to get the 300zx axles to work( maybe some one here has done it?) anyy advise would be appreciated. thanks in advance:icon45:

A driveshaft retube around here is under $100. There's alot of fab work to put a short nosed diff in.

I would think the Z32 and Q45 use the same spline stubs. MM has a kit to use the Q45 CV's, I don't know if there is a length difference between Z32's and Q45's. You could use a Z32 diff with gears better suited to a 2l than the Q diff and use Q45 axles if the Z32 ones won't work..

(clifton beat me to it)

There's a lot of info in the drivetrain forum about diff swaps and what it requires to make it work.

Long story short, its not cheap or easy to put a 300zx diff in your car.

The driveshaft needs to be shortened with the SR tranny and the stock Z diff, but it only costs like $100 at a driveshaft shop to do it.

Are you on about the R230 or R200 from the Z32? R230 is a 3.69:1 ratio, R200 is 4.08:1. In the UK manual S14 200SX with SR20 engines run a 3.69:1 R200, so the Z32 R230 would be a good match, the UK auto S14 has a 3.92:1 ratio for reference. I believe the Z32 R230 has an odd pinion flange though, which might complicate the driveshaft build process, read make more expensive. Might be easier to just get the matching R200 diff from the same car that the SR20 came from, the R200 is more than strong enough unless you're planning insane boost, and it's lighter than the R230. If you do go with the Z32 R230 then the Modern Motorsports axles and stub axle companion flange is the way to go, I believe they have experience with Q45 axles as well, and Z32 R200s.

As for fitting a shortnose diff to an early Zed, I can tell you it's not the easiest of things, although you don't need to go quite so OTT as I did ;)

Cheers,

Rob