HybridZ

tps hook up only 2 wire's????

MaTTSuN

ive had my TPS hooked up on my 78 Z i put a 81 turbo motor in and there was only 2 wires to hook up there is one more wire that does not hook up to anything. ive changed TPS plugs i think the turbo TPS only had 2 wires but it doesnt seem right

where if anywhere can i hook up the 3rd wire

Matt

Ok, well only two wires are actually needed. The 3rd wire is to indicate full throttle position has been achieved. Basically it's just a on/off switch. I imagine the full throttle position is used to turn off any existing air conditioning units to have maximum engine power at full throttle. The wire that actually gets used by the ecu is to indicate that the engine has no throttle input and is essentially idling. Otherwise known as "limp mode" The ecu just uses a very basic program to make the car idle. Once the TPS is opened the fuel/timing maps take over and adjust to the varying condtions. The third wire is simply the common connection between the other two wires.

One time I hooked up the common wire correctly but had the other one hooked to the wrong terminal. The engine ran fine until you put the hammer down and the car lost ALL power, because the ecu thought that the engine was in idle mode. Ha ha.. took a couple of days to figure that one out!