HybridZ

Seat Modification

KG78Z

I am prepareing to install some 01 Miata seats in my 78 280Z. The hinge where the adjuster lever on the Z gildes attach to the glide sits back and hits the seat pan of the miata seats. My question is, if I cut a cannal for the hinge to move in will it weaken the seat as to make it unsafe? If I do cut one what would be the best way to reinforce the cannal?

Thanks as always for the help

KG78Z

I am prepareing to install some 01 Miata seats in my 78 280Z. The hinge where the adjuster lever on the Z gildes attach to the glide sits back and hits the seat pan of the miata seats. My question is' date=' if I cut a cannal for the hinge to move in will it weaken the seat as to make it unsafe? If I do cut one what would be the best way to reinforce the cannal?

Thanks as always for the help

KG78Z[/quote']

Several here have done that cut no problems. Seach on Miata seats and you'll find several links. I put Miata seats in my 77 280Z but chose not to cut mine. I used 1" aluminum square channel 1/8" cut in 1" chunks to space the seat above the rail. I used longer grade 8 bolts to run through the rail, spacer and screwed into the seat. It does raise the seat some but if you're not real tall its not an issue. I'm 5' 10 and still have tons of head room.