HybridZ

300zx ecu.....fixable?

memegtr

what is wrong with it? have you opened it up to see if somthing shorted? It could be leaking capacitors like in most older mitsus. If it is, there is a slight smell of something fishy on the PCB. You would clean it with baking soda (nuetralizes the acid) and denatured alcohol, with a couple of Q-tips. Then you would need to replace the capacitors with the same rating, capacitor spec are usually printed on them. Shouldn't cost more than $10 for everything.

what is wrong with it? have you opened it up to see if somthing shorted? It could be leaking capacitors ... you would need to replace the capacitors with the same rating, capacitor spec are usually printed on them.

AK-Z

I few years ago I worked with a guy in a machine shop that specialized in racing motorcycles. We were involved with the development of some vintage motorcross racers, jap dirt bikes from the late sixties and early seventies. A lot of them had electronic ignition and the black boxes were getting rare. Well... we couldn't find one for a certain bike and so out of desperation took one apart. The PCB was sealed in some epoxy we had to chip away. A big capacitor would inevitably be 'leaking' as you say. We would carefully chip away the epoxy until we could unsolder the suspect capacitor, carry it to Radio Shack, they would cross reference the number on it and we would solder in the new one. Worked like a charm. The new capacitor was usaully a tenth the size of the old one. Soon racers were sending us black boxes to 'fix' from all over.

a friend of mine brought over two Suzuki Swift ECU's, and reportedly told me that Suzi wanted 1300 for a new one from factory.

So he came to my house, i cracked it open. it turned out to be a 1/2 watt 100 ohm resistor or so that was chipped and exposed the ceramic leads inside. I promptly unsoldered it. and popped a new one in.

wouldn't you know.... it worked!

so basically.

1300 dollar ECU, or.... 20 cent resistor? hmmmm.

he took me out for wings. im still waiting for the payback of 1280 dollar in repair fees :toetap05:.

LOL j/k.

there are multiple ways of checking circuits. If you find the schematics for each individual IC (chip = Integrated Circuit) that you can find on the board, you can most often check what the voltage/resistance/current at each pin is supposed to be, and sometimes they come with a cross examination diagram that tells you what reading you should yield if you were to test each input/output by using a digital multimeter across two pins (dont use analog, theyre gonna drive you crazy).

I recently repaired a megasquirt with a dead processor.

the processor was replaced, but then the computer couldnt see the device when i hooked it up. so i checked the trouble shooting guide and it told me that the RS232 (serial connection circuit chip) was supposed to show 5 volts across two pins. upon inspection, it was about 0.01 volts.

$3.50 later, the board was up and running again =)

i hope that sorta makes you feel a bit better about your broken ECU. often times they can be repaired instead of replaced.

thanx careless :icon14:, mom'sZ:icon14:, AK-Z:icon14:, Phantom:icon14:,:2thumbs:

got me another cpu unit.....but this one doesn´t drive the "overdrive" feature on the automatic transmission.:(

had a go at the capacitors and little soldering things.....2 of them looked fried.

now....it would be marvelous if I find the schematics on the thing so I would know exactly the kind of chip that got smoked......:shock:

at least I´m on the road again....

still at it...

thanx careless :icon14:' date=' mom'sZ:icon14:, AK-Z:icon14:, Phantom:icon14:,:2thumbs:

got me another cpu unit.....but this one doesn´t drive the "overdrive" feature on the automatic transmission.:(

had a go at the capacitors and little soldering things.....2 of them looked fried.

now....it would be marvelous if I find the schematics on the thing so I would know exactly the kind of chip that got smoked......:shock:

at least I´m on the road again....

still at it...[/quote']

so did you replace the capactors and still no go?!

I have replaced 2 caps so far' date=' its the chip (IC) I haven´t found yet.

thanx careless[/quote']

best thing i would do is get some part numbers of the ones that are on the board that you can see, and buy only the CHEAP ones first... then change them.

if it works :icon14: