HybridZ

Hooker Headers V8 Kit???

I just got a stack of old paperwork from the last owner of my car.

There are a few papers that are from hooker that seem to be a V8 conversion kit.

Did this exist, or is it something else that just mentions v8 conversion, like headers for the swap?

I also have an early 90's Arizona Z car brochure with a few products I didn't know about. I'll also scan pages of that if anyone is interested.

Bonus question: what is this? 4 of them were mailed to me with the paperwork, and no description.

T1_thumb.JPG

T2_thumb.JPG

T3_thumb.JPG

The kit from Hooker is the same as the old Scarab conversion. It places the engine much farther forward and up higher than the Jags That Run (JTR) kit.

The headers are long tube with one of the left hand side tubes in two pieces so you can fit it around the steering shaft.

IMHO the JTR conversion is far superior.

• Like 1

Chris,

I have that kit in my V8 260. It consisted of the long tube headers (mentioned above), the "U" shaped engine mount spacers, and a flat piece of steel about 3/8" thick that was used as a spacer between the trans mount and the transmission used to set drive shaft angle.

Joe

They do look like they could be, but the diameter is 3.5" on the inside, and it also seems like it would rattle like crazy... unless it's missing a rubber gasket (1/4 inch thick) on the inside which would fit a 3" exhaust.

Those things in your pics look like exhaust hangers

Rags: I'd still like to check out your car, do you have any free time this weekend? I need some motivation to get some real work done on my Z.

That way I don't have to tow it to your garage if you have a get-together

The kit from Hooker is the same as the old Scarab conversion. It places the engine much farther forward and up higher than the Jags That Run (JTR) kit.

IMHO the JTR conversion is far superior.

Yes, I agree that overall the JTR conversion is superior, but for all out drag racing like JNJ do, I don't think it will make that much of a difference actually.

Mikekz: BINGO! They sure do look like exhaust hangers.

Davy

• 2 months later...
Yes Hooker Headers do make conversion kits. The headers we run are Hooker Super Comp headers mad for a Z car.

Hey JNJ,

I guess you have the Scarab/Hooker mounts....if so, are you happy with them? I really want to run the Super Comps, as my small block makes around 500hp. I've been considering the MSA mounts, and the Hooker mounts. Seems like the more I read, the more undecided I am. I worry about header ground clearance with the MSA kit and Hooker Super Comps, but I worry about front of engine/radiator clearance with the Hooker kit (since a 6-71 blower might be in the future). It will be a weekend street/strip kinda car.....not a daily driver. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank alot,

Chris

We only use the headers, we run a front motor plate and also installed a mid-plate also to help tie the car together. I made a transmission mount.

If I can be any help let me know. Will be glad to take some photos if needed.

John

Ps. when we mocked up the motor I set the block in place where the #1 sparkplug was about center of the front a arm. Then postioned the front motor plates and made tabs for them. Ground clearence is not an issue, to me plenty of room under the car.

Hey thanks alot John,

I see the picture you mentioned. Very nice installation.

Did you fasten the front motor plate to the original mounts, or do you have new frame rails? If you get a chance, could you post a picture of the "tab" you made to secure the front motor plate to the car (and the mid plate if possible).

Looks like the front plates are pretty close to being right over the tie rods, is that about right?

Sorry to bother you with this, but I dont have the equipment to do alot of fabrication, and am trying to determine how difficult it is to use the motor plates like you did.....I would much rather have them though!

Thanks again,

Oh yeah, disregard the email I sent via your web site link. I wasn't sure how often you get on this board, so I sent you an email also.

Oh yeah, disregard the email I sent via your web site link. I wasn't sure how often you get on this board, so I sent you an email also.

That was my fault... I told him to PM you if he didn't receive a reply soon.

I just bought the motor plates from jegs. They sit directly above the frame rails. I made some tabs and bolted them up. I will take some photos tomorrow night the best I can.

John

Hey thanks alot John,

I see the picture you mentioned. Very nice installation.

Did you fasten the front motor plate to the original mounts, or do you have new frame rails? If you get a chance, could you post a picture of the "tab" you made to secure the front motor plate to the car (and the mid plate if possible).

Looks like the front plates are pretty close to being right over the tie rods, is that about right?

Sorry to bother you with this, but I dont have the equipment to do alot of fabrication, and am trying to determine how difficult it is to use the motor plates like you did.....I would much rather have them though!

Thanks again,