HybridZ

Cross Member Bump Steer Mod

• 4 years later...

I used some 12 ga .105" thick plate.

I also went to 5/8" rod ends for the control arm so what I did was to strip the paint first. I used a cutoff wheel to cut through the spot welds as I haven't had any luck at all trying to chisel spot welds off, then I opened the stock hole up to 5/8. Then I set it on my workbench and used a square to mark the high end of the slot. Then I drilled that out progressively to 5/8", then I used a dremel with a cutoff wheel to connect the holes. I did the same thing on the plates, then welded the plates to the outsides of the crossmember.

I ran my old crossmember without any reinforcement at all, just washers on each side of the slot, but in retrospect that was pretty dumb and I wouldn't recommend it, even though I never had any trouble with it like that.

DSCN1277.jpg

Any chance you'd be willing to repost this image, Jon? I assume this is an image of version 2, not version 1 with the loose washers...

Don't waste any time searching for it, by all means. I was just curious to see it if you happen to know exactly where the pic is.

I have other pics that I will likely base my reinforcement on, so no sweat if it's not worth your time...

Edited by zredbaron

Here you go. Nothing fancy, just a plate welded on each side of the crossmember. I drilled a hole at the two ends, and then used a cutoff wheel to connect them. In retrospect, 5/8" is way overkill for the bolt size. I would probably run a 1/2" bolt and sleeve on the 5/8" rod end if I were to do it again. I guess I won't have to worry about strength this way.

post-553-056430900 1300899675_thumb.jpg