HybridZ

Try to figure this one out

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, whats an I/C module? (ignition control? as in the thing that controls the spark?)

Ignition control module, sorry bout the short and not too the point post, I was in class.

I had the same thing happen to me, you may have fried the I/C in such a way that it will start, but wont run. Try this, start it, but rev it till its about 2000-2500 rpms, will it still run? If you throw it in drive, or drop the clutch, does it still run as long as you keep the RPMs up? I put on a new I/C control unit, and it ran great, till the car warmed up. Once it warmed up, it would cut out under 2000 rpms, it would stop the spark, but in the upper RPMs, it was fine. I heat-sinked it to the fender and it ran great. You may have fried the I/C in such a way that its giving these symptoms to your car.

here's one for you Olie: If you can bypass the ignition switch and get it to run, you've got a problem with your ignition switch. Those keys seem pretty average, but that little piston and con rod might need to be lightened for better performance. :wink:

When I unplugged the harness and jumpered the "IG" and "B" terminals on the ignition lock harness, nothing happened, and those are the only two pins that need to be jumpered for the engine to run. Instead I had to jumper the "B" and "R" pins, which are only supposed to come on durring cranking.

Ignition control module' date=' sorry bout the short and not too the point post, I was in class.

I had the same thing happen to me, you may have fried the I/C in such a way that it will start, but wont run. Try this, start it, but rev it till its about 2000-2500 rpms, will it still run? If you throw it in drive, or drop the clutch, does it still run as long as you keep the RPMs up? I put on a new I/C control unit, and it ran great, till the car warmed up. Once it warmed up, it would cut out under 2000 rpms, it would stop the spark, but in the upper RPMs, it was fine. I heat-sinked it to the fender and it ran great. You may have fried the I/C in such a way that its giving these symptoms to your car.[/quote']

The car revs normal, all the way to 5k, and I am able to drive the car around with the "jumper it like you stole it- paper clip to the ignition lock harness" method. IMO i think the ignition module is fine, otherwise the engine would act really differently.

I'm going to be tracing the wire going to the "IG" pin on the lock module, and seeing if anything is shorted or the like.

One thing that would help me alot, if any of you guys has a stock 280z, and i mean as stock as mine, can you tell me which relay clicks (passenger side) when you move the key from the acc position to the "on" position? I think that bit of information will help me in my quest for the faulty wire.

I wish I could help, but the camo zzzap doesn't even HAVE an ignition switch anymore. You have to turn on the rear defrost and then a seperate switch for the fuel pump, and then push a starter button...probably shouldn't have revealed my secret Biff Tanner start-up procedure on the internet....

I wish I could help, but the camo zzzap doesn't even HAVE an ignition switch anymore. You have to turn on the rear defrost and then a seperate switch for the fuel pump, and then push a starter button...probably shouldn't have revealed my secret Biff Tanner start-up procedure on the internet....

crap talk about a kill switch....

just curious...what's wired into the defrost button? not like its a secret anymore anyway:rolleyesg

i know this isn't your problem, but have you checked all your vacuum hoses?

The ignition control module is powered through the defroster, then the fuel pump is on it's own switch, and the gauges and alternator run through the hazard switch. It's been awhile since I wired it, so I don't remember exactly which wire from the ignition plug I used for what. It's not really crap talk, it's just how my car is wired. If it were still stock, I'd be the first in line to tell Olie what relays click when I turn the key...but since I don't have one, somebody else will have to take the reigns on this one.

I don't know, when my tps got wet the engine would start and idle fine but would not rev out.

I tried to figure out which relay it is that clicks for ya olie but mine clicks when the key is turned to the ACC position. It doesn't seem to click when turned from ACC to RUN position. I couldn't tell which one it was, I need a helper. Anyhow, I think my dad (it is my mom's old car) had problems with the fuel pump and replaced it and still had problems and may have bypassed the relay that feeds the pump. Going to have to investigate into it at some point because I want to replace the pump, add a regulator and run new lines.

So are you more convinced it may be not ignition and might could be fuel pump? I bought a cheesy pressure gauge and tee'd it into the fuel line right before the bar and taped it up so I could see it while it ran to try to diagnois another problem (bad temp sender). Maybe you could do that.

I'm also thinking about getting a late 90's tercel

now THAT is crazy talk... crazy talk