HybridZ

I just picked up a WC T5 with all the trimmings

bjhines

$900 from a JY an hour from my house...It came out of a 1988 Camaro 5.0L TBI... these things are as rare as hen's teeth...

Tranny, Bell housing, slave cylinder, flywheel, Pplate, clutch, driveshaft, shifter, and all the bolts and cover plate....

It dry shifts and they ran the car on the lift and tested that the tranny shifted all gears... It seems a little loose but the car had 156,000 miles and it looks like the tranny has been worked on in the past...

I figured on rebuilding it before I slap it in my ZZ4 powered 240Z...

Whew... I swear I have heard that these things can be had for as little as $400.... MY ASS!!! In North Carolina... I only found 3...

One yard did not want to verify the tag info before I drove 2 hours to get it...

Another yard had one on the shelf... $750 no bellhousing or anything...

The yard I got it from wanted $850 for everything on a running but recently wrecked car... Car didn't look bad.. clean inside.. the Counter man said he would verify that it shifted properly... and offered a warranty for 30 days.... I said I'll take it... I picked it up and it was ready to go with all fasteners in bags... $900 with tax...

I must say the thing is light... I have never held a WCT5 before today... It looks flimsy but I will be careful with it... I figure I will dismantle it this weekend and verify it can be easily rebuilt... If not I will reassemble it and return it cleaner than it was when I picked it up...

Pics...

Tranny... WC T5 from a 1988 camaro 5.0L TBI

WCT588Camaro.jpg

Bellhousing is in good condition.. I cleaned it up to verify...

Bellhousing88Camaro.jpg

Flywheel looks like it was run hard and put up wet... then some grease monkey slapped a new clutch on the damaged flywheel and said $$$chin $$$ching... It is a lightweight 153 Tooth version... nice to have all the matching parts for the lightweight set up...

Flywheel88Camaro.jpg

Clutch88Camaro.jpg

Got all the trimmings...

ForkandCover88Camaro.jpg

Driveshaft... It is steel...I thought they were supposed to be aluminum.. or is that only on the Automatic...

Driveshaft88Camaro.jpg

I used the tilted bellhousing with mine and had to "clearance" the tunnel just a bit where the shift fork is located. It sticks out quite a ways and at the end of it's stroke would contact the tunnel. I would imagine the vette bell will have the same if not worse problem as the slave ends up higher in the tunnel.

Edit: The shifter also ends up tilted toward the driver which forced me to cut the hole to provide enough space for my short throw B&M unit.

I'd do a little research to se if a vette bell can be had for a reasonable price and then decide, but there's alot to be said for using a part you've already got.

As for the price, DAMN $900.00. If I'd known they were that high I'd have considered pulling mine and selling it. I found mine 2 years ago on ebay after a 3 month search. Got it for $275.00 shipped to my door, the catch is the seller said it was from an 83 Camaro but when I had him check the tag it showed it was from an 89 TransAm special edition. I have no idea how many miles are on it but it has definitely been opened. I plan on rebuilding it in two years or so depending on whether it blows up sooner. Thinking real hard about having dog-ring gears installed to speed up the shifts.

Wheelman