HybridZ

350 Stroked to 383 vs 400 Stroked to 421...

Guest Mike

I don't know if I would call LS1/6's junk, but GM did make several changes to the LS1 oiling system over the years that seems to have addressed some issues. The 98-99's were different than the 2000's and on, and the LS2's are different yet. The LS2 blocks are suppose to be stronger too.

As a point in reference, for the LS7 GM went to a dry sump.

I don't know if I would call LS1/6's junk' date=' but GM did make several changes to the LS1 oiling system over the years that seems to have addressed some issues. The 98-99's were different than the 2000's and on, and the LS2's are different yet. The LS2 blocks are suppose to be stronger too.

As a point in reference, for the LS7 GM went to a dry sump.[/quote']

So the latest versions of the LS1/LS6 are better... or go with LS2/LS7.

Well, the LS7 is DEFINITELY out of my price range... don't know about the LS2.

Will a dry sump oiling system cure the older LS1/LS6 lubrication woes... and/or some machining of oil passages?

The more I learn, the less I know... oh well.

There's no replacement for displacement.

Keep it simple. Go for the bigger cubes if ya wanna go faster!

Some say 383-396 stroker... others say 434-454 stroker... still others say $crew the SB and go BB600+ stroker. I have to say... those big cubes are tempting. I know I can make a very easy-to-drive kick A$$ motor with more cubes. Making big horsepower with a smaller motor makes streetability questionable. However, the weight and expense of a BB are issues. Also, reliability comes into the question.

Decisions, decisions, decisions...:icon56:

i say LS1/6s suck becuase of their small bore... you can buy ported 243 (LS6 ZO6 heads) for about $1200, they flow around 300 CFM at .600 lift

lets look at the LQ4/9 LS2/7 and L92.. you can buy 2 brand new L92 heads (you need a 4.00 bore) from GM for $800.. stock out of the box they flow 330 CFM.. it essentaly made the LS1/6 obsolete.

only motor that dosent have the oiling problems is really the LS7 with its dry sump.. vette oil pans are a remody also.. what happens is that oil travels away from the pickup tube and it can starve for oil during high rpm/high skidpad #s (ie drifting and road racing) the simple solution to this problem is to ad an extra quart of oil.. seems to solve the problem

What about converting LS1 to dry sump?

i say LS1/6s suck becuase of their small bore... you can buy ported 243 (LS6 ZO6 heads) for about $1200' date=' they flow around 300 CFM at .600 lift

lets look at the LQ4/9 LS2/7 and L92.. you can buy 2 brand new L92 heads (you need a 4.00 bore) from GM for $800.. stock out of the box they flow 330 CFM.. it essentaly made the LS1/6 obsolete.

only motor that dosent have the oiling problems is really the LS7 with its dry sump.. vette oil pans are a remody also.. what happens is that oil travels away from the pickup tube and it can starve for oil during high rpm/high skidpad #s (ie drifting and road racing) the simple solution to this problem is to ad an extra quart of oil.. seems to solve the problem[/quote']