HybridZ

LS7 Mounting points

I have searched and searched and have found the question "will an LS7 fit ?" but have not found a definitive answer, only "should do".

Has anyone actually fitted an LS7 into their 240 / 260 yet ? If so I would really appreciate a discussion on the whys and wherefores....

Many Thanks

Andy

Mas280 has one in his RX7. He has done LS1 and LS2 swaps into Z cars, so you might try asking him.

FWIW, externally the LS7 is the same size and shape as the LS2. There are some subtle difference between all the LSx variants, especially in terms of accessory placement. But I don't see why you couldn't use the standard LSx mounting kits on an LS7.

I have just come off the phone to the tech help at Scoggin Dickey who say the mounting points are the same but beware of the bell housing issue. They have not come across anyone putting a T56 on the back of an LS7 yet

Their advice was tried and trusted LS2 with a few tweaks but they accepted the LS7 will have more low down grunt

what.. i am pretty sure that its the T56 behind all LS7s... unless GM made another 6 speed for it

Yeah, way behind. Since the LS7 is only offered on the vette, the T56 is in the rear transaxle.

Now that ZHeadV8 mentions it I remember some post about the size of the LS7 flywheel.

I know the LS7 clutch works on an LS2 flywheel because that is what I will be running.

Are you talking about a real LS7 or a 427 LSX? LS7 uses a dry sump. I just ordered an 427 LS shortblock from Scoggins set up for a wet sump. I anticipate no problems with installation relative to an LS1 or LS2 as they have the same mounting points. The nice thing about this 427 shortblock is that it can use those killer LS7 heads with incredible flow numbers from the factory.

Thanks for the replies and help guys - I will expand a little further (not just round the waist !) :

The engineer's brief is a well sorted, blisteringly fast, great handling, great stopping car that will rival the so called "supercars" apart from top speed because of aerodynamic restrictions. The engine choice is being made on "bang per buck". The project is going slowly but surely because of the need to keep finding cash.

Scoggin sell the LS2 for $5,500 and the LS7 (real one) for $13,000. Big difference, pretty expensive but ......

In order to put a dry sump on the LS2 (engineer's advice) and upgrade it to 500 BHP you are pushing seriously close to the LS7 price. $3000 for a decent dry sump system, then all the tuning work.

For the same ball park figure you can have another litre and loads more torque on a bog standard engine with LOTS more tuning potential.

The engineer builds race cars with transaxles but has run a MOTEC M800 ECU with the LS7, changed the standard pressed steel headers for tuned length tubular ones and put cams in and has seen 640BHP for relatively little change or money. That kinda lights my fire so I have my heart (subject to the ability to pay for it) set on the LS7.

Now the good part.....

I have this morning found someone in the UK who has fitted an LS7 to standard LSx mounts with no problem AND has fitted a T56 using an LS1 bell housing. The box was a Viper box and there were some issues with the input shaft length but other than that, subject to the box being rated for the torque it appeares they will fit exactly as per LS1 / 2 / 6

The only caveat here (can someone help please ?) is he says that the front part of the LS7 sticks out slightly further that an LS2 because of pump differences and to check if it will foul anything. Anyone got any ideas ? How much clearance is there in front of an LS2 ?? won't be much bigger I guess.

The only caveat here (can someone help please ?) is he says that the front part of the LS7 sticks out slightly further that an LS2 because of pump differences and to check if it will foul anything. Anyone got any ideas ? How much clearance is there in front of an LS2 ?? won't be much bigger I guess.

The crank pulley on my LS2 is sitting right above the steering rack on my 240. So figure a good half meter of wiggle room in that dimension.

Clearance in front of the engine is one of the places where Z's have no issues.

Shoot. Might even be enough room for a couple of turbos (hint hint).

Rack_clearance_trail_fit.jpg

The crank pulley on my LS2 is sitting right above the steering rack on my 240. So figure a good half meter of wiggle room in that dimension.

Clearance in front of the engine is one of the places where Z's have no issues.

Shoot. Might even be enough room for a couple of turbos (hint hint).

Rack_clearance_trail_fit.jpg

Pop, that's incredibly close. Now, about those turbos, I would love to help you on that, but I think your loved ones would hate me for encouraging you!

Yeah, that was just an initial fit. When I am done the pulley will be up about another quarter to half inch up and forward some. Think I will need the cross member lower plates since the carb isn't leaving much hood clearance. Never really know how much room you will have until you start piecing parts together.

But it definitely shows how far back the engines can be set