HybridZ

MM 240sx emergency brake hook up ... Help Please

I'm trying to figure out how to hook up these stupid ebrakes...I'm working on my 240z which i just got through installing modern motorsports rear 240sx brake kit on.... I've looked at my 280z and can tell the e brake cable end appears to have bigger ends on it...but the 240z has a smaller end, which fits through the bracket on the caliper.. If you put the retainer clip on the back side, it appears it will not stay there for long... anyone have any ideas or have installed these before??? Thanks ...Here is some pic to see what i'm talking about.Brakes005.jpg

Brakes007_thumb.jpg

Brakes006_thumb.jpg

Just got a customer email referring us here for someone requiring aid.

Aaron, please do drop us a direct note with any other questions on our packages we've set you up with :wink: CV adaptors looking fine. We're always keen to support our own products, customers.

I believe your photo indicates you've got the location of your clip reversed, just move it to the other side of the fixed ebrake arm on the caliper. When the ebrake is used the U clip has to hold the cable sheathing fixed to that arm so only the inner ebrake cable itself moves. (as long as the clip is fixed in the sheathing OEM slot, and fixed to the caliper ebrake fixed arm) Some cable sheathings can be a bit smaller and the easy fix is to use a small piece of decent wire to bind the U clip to the ebrake rear fixed bracket opening. A simple few snug wraps secured and it'll never move. It goes into compression when ebrake is activated so the wire just needs to hold it/not take any force.

Our webshop/installation info has some good photos etc. I'll paste in the one of the full ebrake hookup (no wire necessary in Pete's install).

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2

within webshop package is link to 'another customer install'

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/Calipers/zbrakeupgrade.htm

ebrakehookedup.jpg

Any other questions please let us know by direct email.

Cheers and good luck with the rest of your install.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick reply Ross, I would have mailed you but figured it might be a while before you could get back w me and this issue has not been addressed on here that I could find...Anyway... still not sure i know what you mean about where to put the wire....I knew the clip was on the wrong side, but if you only put it on the correct side w nothing holding the ebrake cable it falls out also...so do you wrap the sheath or the bracket w the wire??? The bracket seems to thick to wrap the grove in the sheath... If i wrap behind the grove, will the wire just not fall off?? Are you talking about just wraping the wire around the clip, sheath, and ebrake bracket as a whole.....I know the clips sideways in the pic....did this for you to see the bracket thickness comp to sheath...As always thanks for the great parts Ross... Brakes.jpg

it also looks like the clip is installed backwards, [but on the right side this time] meaning that that tab on the end shouldn't be on the inside resting against the main part of the clip. It should be facing out like how you had it first. This is how all my clips looked when i was disassembling the brake lines. Maybe thats preventing it from being installed all the way, and thus holding it tightly.

We've only had a few questions on this over the years. Obviously more out their that had similar questions, great to get this covered off:burnout:. It's easier to see proper geometry if our ebrake adaptor (full package) is purchased, then the end is fixed to caliper actuator.

Your clip should be oriented as Hanson notes, same as they were factory on rear brake and front/rear brake line to frame unions etc. The 'tang' of the U clip should bend/fold away from the caliper e-arm bracket and be oriented across the opening of the bracket it's being fixed to. (the U of the U clip should be oriented 180 degrees to the e-arm, ie. install it straight on, don't twist it 90 degrees after install as shown in your last pic).

Your U clip should fit your cable sheathing properly, if not that's a separate issue. (ie. don't need to wrap your sheathing at all as long as it's fitting the U clip).

U clip fits groove as per usual. "bind the U clip to the ebrake rear fixed bracket opening." Then bind U clip to the ebrake arm end it's sitting against. No pinching of the opening necessary, as long as you bind the clip to the caliper arm then it won't go anywhere. Pinching the opening may prevent your sheathing groove from sitting snug against the caliper ebrake arm.

In summary you require the U clip in the sheathe (same as OEM ) and fixed against outer face of caliper e-brake arm so it can't pull the cable sheathing towards your differential (similar to OEM, some may require a few wire wraps).

Tonight I can put together a pic of a U clip wired to the caliper arm if that would help.

it also looks like the clip is installed backwards, [but on the right side this time'] meaning that that tab on the end shouldn't be on the inside resting against the main part of the clip. It should be facing out like how you had it first. This is how all my clips looked when i was disassembling the brake lines. Maybe thats preventing it from being installed all the way, and thus holding it tightly.
yes that is why at the end of the second post i stated that i knew it was like that, but wanted you to be able to see the thickness of the bracket and sheath...If it was installed correctly for the pic you could not see this...

that clip is still in wrong.. and honestly it doesn't even look like a factory clip, it looks like a bent piece of sheet metal with a slot cut in. Factory clips have two bent "prongs" that go around the cable. The idea is... with the tab facing AWAY from the bracket.. you slide the clip in... this is not easy to do.. the prongs on the tab are bent in the center so that when you slide the clip in... they compress acting like springs holding the cable in. You'll have to use some pliers or like taping of a mallet to get the clip in... should not just "slide" in.

that clip is still in wrong.. and honestly it doesn't even look like a factory clip, it looks like a bent piece of sheet metal with a slot cut in. Factory clips have two bent "prongs" that go around the cable. The idea is... with the tab facing AWAY from the bracket.. you slide the clip in... this is not easy to do.. the prongs on the tab are bent in the center so that when you slide the clip in... they compress acting like springs holding the cable in. You'll have to use some pliers or like taping of a mallet to get the clip in... should not just "slide" in.
Yea your right...I'm a dummy :twak: but still dont hold it tight cause the sheath slides through...It is a oem ebrake clip off this car, I also have a few more just like it...

I actually welded up the bracket slot to reduce the opening. I then used a cutoff grinder to open it up to the correct size. It is a pain as no one seems to have all the answers. I'm suspecting that various caliper brackets and/or cables were used where sometimes it happened to be an ideal match.