HybridZ

1st Post

260pos

Ok. Here it goes.

I just picked up a ’74 260. It’s a little rough to say the least, but it’s un-molested.

From what I can tell looking on the net, it has round-top carbs. Other than that It’s a mess!

It has an automatic trans (gotta go). What 5-speed trans has the closest ratios in it? Will my center console still work with a manual? Can I use any year pedal box? I’m dreaming about a late zx short block using my head /w 280 valves and a little hotter cam. Should I use the 2+2 clutch?

The rear end has the standard big “thunk†when shifting between drive and reverse. How many bushings are replaced if I went to a R200 rear member? Do I need a R200?

This is a great site, but all the options of mix and match can get a little overwhelming, from LD28’s with automatics to LT-1’s with 6-speeds. A lot has changed since my little 510 twenty plus years ago…

80 ZX trans has the closest ratios of any commonly available trans. Slightly tighter 5th gear ratio than the NA 81-83. The widest is the 78-79 5 speed. There are Datsun Comp gearboxes with really close ratios, but good luck finding one and when you do they usually are going for $1500-$2K.

Pedal box... dunno. If I had to guess I'd say they're probably the same. The first half of the 260 production had 240 chassis, and the 2nd half had 280 chassis, so if you can determine which you have and get the matching pedal box there won't be any surprises.

You don't need the R200 IMO. New bushings for the rear control arms and mustache bar are pretty much guaranteed necessary unless the PO did them already. The front diff mount is also suspect. There are some good alternatives which are REALLY simple and get rid of the crappy strap across the front of the diff too.

If you want the pedal box for the purposes of adding a clutch pedal, you only need to get the pedals, they come out individually. The automatic pedal box has a provision for the clutch pedal to be added in, and if you are too lazy to switch the brake pedal out, you can just cut off the part that interferes with the clutch pedal with a cutoff wheel or something, and then put aftermarket pedal covers on. Nobody will ever know (unless you post it on the internet for all to see...Doh!)