HybridZ

s.u. carby problems

roninjiro

the quick fix is to throw a little grease on the outside of the throttle shafts. A nice thick bearing grease will plug up the throttle shaft leak. Its a temporary fix but it works. I called my local carborator shop and asked them if they could replace the bearings in my SU's and they said, sure. give it a shot... whats the worst that could happen:)

Matt :burnout:

new problem guys. i had spare su's and changed out the shafts and very little play, the old shafts were showing brass badly, the ones i put in still had the plating on it. no shaft leakage.

but i have the problem of my firewall carb running lean. i did lift the piston and it kills the motor, the other side (radiator carb) stays close to idle. so i adjust the mixture thing on the bottom to richen, nothing, some gain but not much.

i think what the problem is; is the float adjustment. when i turned my fuel pump off and let it starve itself i took the float covers off to see what i had. my firewall carb still had fuel in it and my radiator carb was bone dry. floats people???? im leaning toward that idea but need some input from you guys.

also note:

new sm needles

new nozzles

new float cutoff valves

ok, fixed carb problem (used 70 float tops), now all i have is a timing problem to fix, and fine tune of carbs. timing i can do well, but fine tuning of carbs i need help.

does anyone know how to tune su carbs for z's properly b/c i pulled the spark plugs and plugs 1,2,5,6 are fouled and plugs 3,4 are fine.

http://classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23101&highlight=su Look at post #6. It is not applicable regarding different fuel bowl tops but does provide the basic info required when tuning twin SU's. It should get you real close if nothing else is wrong. One more thing, if the plugs are really fouled clean or replace brfore tuning. Blip the throttle occasionally during tuning to clear the plugs of carbon.