HybridZ

Z31 faster before warming up?

b__sosick

I have an 86 300zx 5 speed non turbo. It has always ran like crap, and all i've done so far is change the plugs and wires, and get it a new exhaust.

It really seems like it runs twice as fast when it's cold than when it warms up.But even when it does feel stronger it still hesitates a lot if floored or in the higher revs.

Any suggestions? I haven't taken a timing light to it or anything. so any suggestions are greatly appreciated. thanks!

thanks for the hints guys

i f ound the vacuum leak.

i also reset the dizzy because it was wayyyy retarded.

it's actually running very smooth now. it's just LOUD and OBNOXIOUS from no cat. haha.

I will get a video up soon so maybe you guys can tell me about the other noises im hearing...

Guest Jason84NA-T
Sounds like a knock sensor is bad, when it gets hot it will retard the timing alot. The hesitation sounds like a bad TPS, my s13 has a bad hesitation problem and I have a bad TPS.

GL~Alex

No offence... You obviously should not be giving this guy advice.

1. There is no knock sensor on the VG in N/A Z31's, only turbo.

2. The TPS is not a potientometer type like your 240SX. It only has contacts for idle.

Guest Jason84NA-T
Wow excuse me. Sorry I just told him things to check. At least I was helping the guy, or giving him options any way.

~Alex

I don't want to get into a debate about this, but what I said was not meant to be offensive. Sorry you took offence to it.

You were simply telling him things that were in no way related to his car, demonstrating that you have not worked with Z31's enough to know (which is fine). The problem is even giving suggestions which are well intended but misguided tend to cause confusion and the proliferation of incorrect information (which is not fine). More people read than post; in fact it's something around a 4:1 margin. He, or someone who has a similar problem and reads this is going to take your "options" and waste their time. Now, how exactly are you helping them? So you can see why I'm not trying to be an ass, and it is nice of you to try anyway. I'm just saying you should know a little about the subject matter before trying to help someone with an issue.