HybridZ

Question for the JCI guys!

DO your trannies ride up real high in the trans tunnel? I got the motor bolted back in and jacked up the tranny so the carb flange on the victor jr was level at 0 degrees and the tranny seems to be way up high in the tunnel. Almost to the point where the driveshaft would be scarey close to the emergency brake mechanism. Is this pretty normal? I then raked the motor back about 3 degrees and of course it looks better but I want the motor at 0 degrees!.

BTW, I dont have a driveshaft yet so this is all just by using my eye.

You need to match the engine tilt to the angle of the rear diff. On my car this put a pretty significant rearward tilt on the engine. I did the JTR mod of drilling out the mustache bar washers to raise the rear of the diff. That helped a good bit, but still no where near level. If you want it that level you wil almost certainly need to build a new front diff mount to lower the front of the diff too.

BTW, how does hood clearance look with that carb on the LS1? I set my engine about as low as I can (so low the alternator will not clear the steering shaft) and I figure I will have maybe 3" clearance from the carb flange to the underside of the hood.

You need to match the engine tilt to the angle of the rear diff. On my car this put a pretty significant rearward tilt on the engine. I did the JTR mod of drilling out the mustache bar washers to raise the rear of the diff. That helped a good bit, but still no where near level. If you want it that level you wil almost certainly need to build a new front diff mount to lower the front of the diff too.

BTW, how does hood clearance look with that carb on the LS1? I set my engine about as low as I can (so low the alternator will not clear the steering shaft) and I figure I will have maybe 3" clearance from the carb flange to the underside of the hood.

I have the whole back end cut out of my Z for a tub job with a 8.8" so the mustache bar is gone along with the rest of the IRS. I was just looking down the tunnel last night anoticed how high the powerglide is sitting.

The car without a doubt will need a cowl hood. Here is a quick pic of the carb and a air cleaner I got laying around here sitting on there for you to see what I mean. Ill also throw a couple pics of the ass end to show ya the progress I have made.

Here is a pic of the tailshaft of the powerglide so you guys can see what Im talking about.

126-2666_IMG.jpg

Claearance pics. BTW this is with the motor sitting at 3 degrees of rear rake.

126-2660_IMG.jpg

126-2661_IMG.jpg

Here is a pic Ill throw in of the driverside floor I finished up last night. I raised it up 1" for exhaust clearance. When Im done Ill have a nice little area under the seats for the mufflers. Before and after undercoating. I dont know if Ill end up running carpet so the undercoating will keep the floors from rusting and help kill a little bit of the heat/noise.

126-2656_IMG.jpg

126-2667_IMG.jpg

This was an issue on my swap too.Mike didnt use the JCI tranny mount, He made hes own to lower the tranny a little.

yeah Ill be making my own tranny x-member since I have raised the floors up about 3/4" and now have subframe connectors to attach it to. I tried to get the carb flange at 0 degrees but there is no way so now the motor/tranny will tild down about 4 degrees in the rear to clear this issue :(