HybridZ

Somebody SHOOT Me!!!

Guest Mike

Wow Grumpy... that's some great reading... THANKS!!

That 454 stroker is tempting but I thought a 434 was already pushing the limits of the 400 block. I'll research this a bit more.

MIKE!

(links deleted)

some stuff you need

I've considered the 4L80e but it's heavy and expensive. Also the tunnel must be enlarged. Are you saying that I'll tear up a well-built Stage 3 R200 with my street rocket? Maybe I should research the tranny options a bit more too, eh?

If you want a built auto tranny, try looking into the 4L80e. You might look on Bowtie Overdirve.

Thanks for the info, Gary. I decided against a BB due to overall height and weight. A well-built SBC stroker will easily meet my goals. Yes, I trust Grumpy implicitly. I just want a bit more umph in the lower midrange than a 383 puts out and I think the 434 will provide that. This is a street rocket and will seldom see the strip.

If cubic inches is what you're after, why not go with a crate 572?

If you want to go fast, I'm reasonably sure Grumpy's got some better advice.

JM$0.02USW -- Gary

I've considered the 4L80e but it's heavy and expensive. Also the tunnel must be enlarged. Are you saying that I'll tear up a well-built Stage 3 R200 with my street rocket? Maybe I should research the tranny options a bit more too, eh?

TBH, I've not read too much about the 4L80e, but I've heard it's a good tranny for high horsepower cars. I've come across it when researching the 700r4 a couple times and thought I'd mention it. I assume you want overdrive? If not the older three speed autos can be built very tough.

I've read about the 4L80e. It's essentially a TH400 with a .75 OD and is a VERY stout and is an excellent tranny. In my youth, I had several TH400's behind some fairly powerful big blocks. I gave them lots of heck and they NEVER failed. The problems with 4L80e are that it's large, heavy, and pricey. Also, unless one wants manual shifts, one must also buy and install the computer for it... more $$$ and work. BTW, manual shifting is fine with me. It may be a better option than the very best 200R4 I can find. Anyway, you've brought up a good point, which I'll research a bit more.

TBH, I've not read too much about the 4L80e, but I've heard it's a good tranny for high horsepower cars. I've come across it when researching the 700r4 a couple times and thought I'd mention it. I assume you want overdrive? If not the older three speed autos can be built very tough.

That's cool but please explain with specificity why a 383 is the better choice.

The 383 can put out as much power as a BB, no modifications for the JTR kit, parts are more common and i think cheaper than the 400. Also if you want more "oomph" in the lower mid range you can probably choose the cam of your choice for your power needs. A mild 383 can run 400 h.p. - 425 ft/lb tq to 450-500h.p.-500+ ft/lb tq. or whatever you want. And have you ever driven any car with a 383 in it? Believe me, you'll be quite satisfied on the power band of the engine, if not, build one that will. good luck and stop 'wussificating' yourself.:mrgreen::banghead:

You meant "wussifying", didn't you? Or were you combining that with another word that I can't write in this forum?:mrgreen:

I just need a bit more info regarding (350 based 383 or 396) vs. (400 based 434 or 454)... the pros and cons of each. I know there there is no substitute for cubic inches for raw power... it's easier to build a "street-friendly" road warrior with more displacement. However, I don't want the thing to blow apart on me either. I continue to be open-minded about this but I'm leaning toward a 434 because I'm a spoiled brat and I want both power and street-ability:flamedevi

The 383 can put out as much power as a BB, no modifications for the JTR kit, parts are more common and i think cheaper than the 400. Also if you want more "oomph" in the lower mid range you can probably choose the cam of your choice for your power needs. A mild 383 can run 400 h.p. - 425 ft/lb tq to 450-500h.p.-500+ ft/lb tq. or whatever you want. And have you ever driven any car with a 383 in it? Believe me, you'll be quite satisfied on the power band of the engine, if not, build one that will. good luck and stop 'wussificating' yourself.:mrgreen::banghead:

You meant "wussifying", didn't you? Or were you combining that with another word that I can't write in this forum?:mrgreen:

"specificity"

It was hard to write "Wussipecifity-ication-ing" j/k and giving you a hard time.:burnout:Have you posted any pics of your car since you got it?:cheers:

LOL!!! Okay... ya' got me... argh...

I'll use more common words in my replies to you, heh, heh:mrgreen:

I posted a few pics but they're old ones supplied by the guy from which I bought the car. The seller really $crewed me over and I've been so disappointed and pi$$ed about it that I haven't bothered to take my own pics. I have a ton of stuff to do and a gazillion bucks to spend to bring this car to the standards I want. Anyway... here's a pic.

http://forums.hybridz.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1386&stc=1&d=1159125097

It was hard to write "Wussipecifity-ication-ing" j/k and giving you a hard time.:burnout:Have you posted any pics of your car since you got it?:cheers:

why build a 383?

the answer is simply COST PER HP

sure yyou can build a killer 15 degree head 454 that makes 800 hp if youve got the cash, but you can build a 383 that will give you a low 11 second or high ten second car for less THAN HALF of the expence the larger engine would cost,that combo will beat about 95% of the street driven cars, why pay two to four times as much to beat MOST but not all the other cars on the track,youll spend a good deal more and get less enjoyment from the car.

look, I had a corvette that ran consistant 10.25-29 at 135 mph,it was a TOTAL P.I.T.A. on the street, required a full roll cage and wheelie bars and was a cop magnet......you lost most of the enjoyment in owning the car because the only place you could drive vwas the track, and you needed to constantly deal with anal tech inspectors, you got two maybe three runs per night and generally spent 99% of your time doing tune repair and upgrade mods, it was a $$%%^ MONEY PIT!

my current corvette is slightly slower (high 11s -very low 12s) but at least I get to drive it on the street, I don,t need a full roll cage and I have a useable car....I can beat about 80% of the cars, ITS a GRIN to drive..........as always THINK IT THRU

Forget all the theories and talk to someone who has actually done it.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=114612

454 SBC/4L80E Z-car finished the night before SEZ and turned its first wheel in anger there. With a too tight 2200 converter it ran 11.2x after about 6 passes and the car weighs 3,000lbs.