HybridZ

Lambo doors?

snork

I was reading a rod mag and came across an add for lamborghini style opening doors. anyone done this with a Z car, or any car for that matter? was wondering how much of a b#### it was to do. Also out curiousity, has anyone notice the down hill quality in 3M? Their green tape isn't like it used to be and their compound seems like it has been watered down. If i cut and buff with 1200 i have to use extra cut first then switch to the regular compound. Any coments would be apreicated. Thanks

There are several companies that make bolt-in replacement hinges to convert many cars' doors into something like a scissor door (lambo door). Because of the shape of the Z door (and most car doors) though, it can't simply swing straight up/forward. It would bind in the door opening. Rather, these hinges allow the door to swing out a few inches and then swing up.

The kits I've seen are really expensive (a grand for a pair of door hinges!) and aren't particularly stable... when the door is completely up a stiff breeze will blow it around a bit.

I thought about lambo doors for awhile and designed my own hinge design that I thought might be more durable (and I could fab it myself for much less than those kits), but I've decided to go gull-wing instead. It is just much easier and gives a larger opening for access, which is important for me since I lowered the roof and raised the rockers.

boodlefoof, so you have any designs you could post for how that's going to work? Are you going to cut into the roof a little bit and make that a part of the door? Supposedly, the DeLorean mechanism for doing it is really good, but I've only read that on a DeLorean site that was comparing them to the method that Brickland's cars used.

Guest 280ZForce

there is a place right down the street from me that does these...big company. Lambo Doors I think it's called, like 1.5-2 miles from me.

what year z do you have?

i've seen them on 300zx (z32) i believe and 350z. but nothing older.

At the last MSA Show I was talking with the largest company that makes the lambo style doors and at that time no one had done an early 70-73 style Z. Since I had already molded in my fenders and airdam as a one piece unit, I was unable to have the work done. If I were to make some mods to the fenders and redo the body work I could still have it done. The cost ranges from roughly $1500-$2500 or more depending on the options and style of lift you want to incorporate into your design. In the past lots of negative comments had been posted regarding lambo doors...but, those were by individuals who can't think out of the box and have very limited design expertise. I say "if ya like it, then go fer it!" Or "if your going to make a statement then...well you know what my car looks like!"