HybridZ

Planning to get a S30

Guest Makaveli

Guest Makaveli

Hi all,

I'm new to the S30; reason why I'm on this forums is because my dad is planning to get me a 240z that his friend wants to get rid of. Supposedly it's in good condition, I haven't seen it. I really want it because it truely is a beautiful car, but I'm a little hesitant. The main issue is the engine. It doesn't run and I have money left over for a swap. What engine should I opt for? I really want to stay away from the 2JZ, RB25, RB26 because of their weight. I'm basically looking for a torquey motor that isn't limited to a 6,500 rpm redline. Any info and opinions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

p.s. I really don't like the SR20. I don't like the idea of tossing a I6 for an I4.

well you seem to know your engine choices, but ... you left out one pretty obvious engine... L28. If I were you I wouldn't build an engine for my Z based on max RPM. I would go for a Rear Wheel Horse Power 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, and do you want it N/A or turbo. Do you want a race car or do you want a really fast every day driver.

A turbo L28 can bring you great torque and RWHP without too much trouble.

And don't forget about SBC V8's and nissan VG and VQ engines.

I guess the ultimate choice will be made by how much money you have to drop into the engine you pick.

Good luck

While I AM planning on tossing a larger engine (V8) for the I4... I agree with Zeiss... the L28 is a perfectly viable choice, and you already have it. I like revs too... but higher redlines cost money... unless you start out with an engine that revs to begin with, and that will probably cost you as well. I plan on spending very little for the basic swap, but the 7500 to 8000 rpm I am looking for will just about triple my engine budget.

tannji

Guest Makaveli

Thanks a lot. I don't really know much about the L28, but it seems to be a pretty strong engine. Does anyone know how much it generally creates, horsepower and torque-wise? Thanks for your input!

Thanks a lot. I don't really know much about the L28, but it seems to be a pretty strong engine. Does anyone know how much it generally creates, horsepower and torque-wise? Thanks for your input!

i was planning on a V8 swap right when i get a Z for the torque and power, but i just drove my friends s30 with a l28 turbo, and that thing is fast, and he drives it everyday as his only car. I didn't realize how much potential those engines had until i drove that. Just go get a cheap l28 or l28et, clean it up alittle, and bolt it in and you'll have a fun car, and you won't be killed by the extra expenses of one of those swaps u mentioned, which can reach $5-$10k easily from what people do on here..

but....if your in a position to spend that kind of money, I'd tell you to put a LS1 in, but they get alittle pricey, and if your like me and doing school and stuff, that's not an option....yet. So a l28/l28et can be a fast cheap option to get some good power.