HybridZ

250 Gto

Ok, so I have this idea of my next project car which includes a 250 GTO body and an F355 engine.

My question is, can the older z-car chassis's be made to handle relatively well (and is the rear end reasonably strong), and if not, does anyone offer a 250 GTO replica on a tube chassis?

Thanks!

Yeah, 355 uses a transaxle, I'm not sure that swap would work so well...maybe one of those falconer v-12's? Or if the goal is a ferrari powered ferrari conversion, why not the engine from a front engine rear drive ferrari?

*edit* I just realized the question you were actually asking was more of a suspension question, so this thread might have been better if it was started in that particular forum...anyway, I'd say that the early Z could probably be made to handle at least as good as a real GTO would have, possibly better if you knew what you were doing, but as for the how, I'd recommend taking a trip down to the Brakes, wheels, suspension category and doing a few searches, also read all the FAQs pages too, this topic gets asked alot, and has been covered many times.

Most of the "3XX" series engines were made for mid-engine cars so adapting them to a front engine/transmission car might be a challenge. If you are going to do a V8 why don't you just do a small block Chevy, make it look like a Ferrari engine, and save a bunch of money.

236622_2_full.jpg

The original 250 GTO was a 3 litre V12 (250cc per cylinder X 12) so you might want to consider a Jag or BMW V12 both of which have been done before. Of course you could always install a real Ferrari Colombo V12 (which has also been done before) but most of them cost big bucks. It's not a Colombo V12 but you might be able to pick up a Ferrari 400i pretty cheap and use that V12.

I have seen a 250 Ferrari GTO tube frame replicas but not based on a Z car. Most were converted Ferrari 330 GT's or the like which have the similar engine. I think it was Arizona Z Car that used to make the tube chassis for the Z car but I haven't seen one in ages and have never seen one with a GTO body on it.

The stock Z car chassis handles quite well and with some minor mods it can handle extremely well. The R200 rear can handle significant torque/horsepower.

Good luck with your project.

236622_1_full.jpg

Hmmm, well I suppose I should have been more specific.

I am looking for a source for the 250 GTO replica. If the z-car platform was insufficient (which from what I gather it is sufficient), a link to a company who offers a 250 GTO replica on a tube chassis.

I'm aware of the cost of an F355 engine. From what I have seen the engine can be had for 10-14k, which I think is reasonable. I would also consider a 550 or 575 engine, but I am a fan of the 355. A SBC would most definitely be cheaper, but would not be what I'm looking for.

Fwiw, I fabricate parts and dyno-tune cars for a living, plus I have a lift, tig-welder, compressor, etc at my home garage, so this is certainly a project I could handle.

I am finished with my first turbo camaro, working on completing the 2nd, and am in the planning stages for my next project. I came to this forum as I am having a hard time finding information on the 250 replicas, as any solid return on a search for "Ferrari 250 GTO replica" would likely be an invitation for a lawsuit.

A real 250 is unobtainable for me, however I love the looks, and I think it would be a great car with a late model fuel injected Ferrari engine. F355 would provide me with the sound and power to match the looks, not to mention an 8,500rpm shift point (if I'm not mistaken).

Sure, I don't really view it as much of a problem that the F355 uses a transaxle. Having a clutch I don't see why I couldn't adapt it to any rwd transmission (such as a T56).

LOL, the engine/transmission mechanicals are of my least concern, I would just like a quality body and chassis for a good starting point.

I wouldn't mind using a z-car chassis as a starting point if the bodys have been proven long-term reliable.

After much consideration, posting, reading... I've decided on a 434 SBC stroker. It bolts right in with a JTR kit... easy easy... and is a relatively cheap alternative to MEGA-CUBE monsters. A well-built all forged 500HP 434 with 200HP nitrous will SCARE THE PI$$ out of any sane person, BTW.

Oh... you'll want to update to at LEAST an R200... an R230 is better. You'll want a T56 for manual or BUILT 200R4 auto. The suspension just needs stiffer springs (adjustable coilovers).

YOU'LL LOVE IT!!!

Jut my thoughts, FWIT.