HybridZ

Intake manifold question SBC

Guest V8Z

I'm putting GMPP fastburn heads on my 350 and I was looking for a intake manfold and came across this describtion in the jegs book. It says that fastburn heads can use "vortec sytle manifolds or raised port manfolds" So my question is do I have to by a manfold or will my Edelbrock EPS manifold work? I would just check it out myself but my heads are still at the machine shop.BTW my motor is a 1987 down motor. Thanks for any info.

vortec heads have aproximately 170cc ports

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/frame.html?/Cylinder_Heads/Vortec.html

those fastburns are closer to 200cc

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/frame.html?/Fast_Burn_Cylinder_Heads.html

heres intakes that fit, your rear gear,cpr,cam timing and several other factors will dictate the correct sellection in the intake

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/frame.html?/Edelbrock/Vortec_Head_Intakes.html

I have these fast burn heads.... i have tried an Edelbrock performer dual plane .. it was fine .. now using a victor jr single plane .. picked up top end power but lost about 15 on the bottom .. below 2500rpm .. i just ordered the intake GM suggest for use with the heads ...it is Eliminator GM part number 12497698.. the main thing with these fast burn heads is the gasket ... only the gm gaskets fit the correct way .. tried felpro and they leak on the top of the ports.the gasket that fit perfect was gm 12497760.. the ports on the fast burn heads are about an 1/8 inch taller than on a victor jr intake that has no porting done to it at all.. as soon as i get the new intake on and dyno i will post the resultts compared to the other 2 intakes i have tried....

BTW, I got my fast burns back today from the machine shop and he showed me that these heads are drilled and tapped for vortec and old style 350 intakes. The bolt holes do line up for the old stlye manifold but the intake inlet on the fast burn head is 3/8" taller than the manifold, same for the gasket.

DSCF0001.jpg

BTW, I got my fast burns back today from the machine shop and he showed me that these heads are drilled and tapped for vortec and old style 350 intakes. The bolt holes do line up for the old stlye manifold but the intake inlet on the fast burn head is 3/8" taller than the manifold, same for the gasket.

DSCF0001.jpg

Those are a raised port head compared to standard sbc.

I'm sorry, I completely forgot that they did that. Do they not also do that on their newer Vortec heads?