HybridZ

V8 280ZX Racer

We just blew the engine on our '79 280ZX, and we've decided it would be a nice strip 'er down, and build 'er up project. So we're on the hunt for a 305 or a 350, gutting it from the back to the seats, losing everything but the dash. We're gonna throw in some racing seats and harnesses (hoping that we need them :-) ) and have some fun.

I was just seeing some if some of you other guys who have swapped for some american muscle and or even just made a race car have some pics or advice for me, because I've been waiting for something like this to work on for a long time and hopefully can take it to some Z things and be respectable.

Thanks,

Phil

Go with an LT1...

cleaned_up.jpg

It fits great, uses MSA mounts(overpriced though), fits under the hood with no mods, and its EFI!

DCP_1955-299x191.jpg

If I would have had the money(about 3 years ago), I would have gone with an LS1 though! I would have had to make the mounts though, which really wouldnt be that hard.

Guy

Don't get a 305 unless someone just gives you one or you want to save a little gas money. A carbed 350 is probably your best choice. Jumping straight into fuel injection probably won't be fun. Buy a donor vehicle like a running caprice truck or subarban. Be careful however because a lot of them have 305's and the owner may tell you it's a 350. With a donor vehicle you get a trans, cable, driveshaft, and many more goodies. If I was just starting out and knew what I know I would get one.

I have to second 80LT1's advice, GO WITH THE LT1!!!!! They are great engines, can be had relatively cheap and the EFI is not that hard to work with, especially if you get a 95 with the OBDI that can be flashed without removing a chip.

The only drawback I've found is smaller aftermarket support, therefore higher LT1 specific parts prices.

Wheelman

I will agree with 280zwitha383, try to find a complete car and swap out what you need. It will be much cheaper than piecing it together. All those little things really really add up!

I would not even think about going with a 305, the TPI motor looks cool and has low end torque but it runs out of breath pretty quick. If you dont want EFI then find a carb'd 350.

The LT1 fits the same as an old school SBC except there are no hood clearance issues like there can be with a carb'd 350. The LT1 EFI is very simple to work with and modifing a stock harness is a piece of cake if you ask me.

Guy

Get the JTR engine and trans mounts for the ZX, Very nice pieces, allow you to adjust the engine position left to right and front to back with motor and trans in the car. I think the 79' ZX had a steering box which causes some problems with exhaust header fit on the drivers side. My 83 has a power rack steering, you may want to consider finding a JY ZX to get all the rack and pinion parts out of to swap into yours. JTR has Sanderson headers to fit the ZX with rack steering only, they fit perfect. Just a few suggestions for you to think about.