HybridZ

Sreeing Shaft Removal 240z

I did several searches and found the same question with no answers and the person posting the question has not replaced his steeing shaft at this time.

The upper u-joint on the steering shaft next to the coupler is worn. The u-joint is not replacable so I am ordering a used replacement from Z Barn.

Question is how to remove the upper steering shaft. Can the shaft be slipped out of the steering column while still in the car or does the whole column have to be removed?

Has anyone done this?

Thanks

Miles

The shaft that you wish to replace will drop (slide) out of the steering column once you provide an unimpeded path in the engine bay. You can leave the outer case in place inside the car when you do this. There is nothing holding it up inside the column other than the fact that it is kept from sliding out by being attached to the steering rack. It is about 16" long from the u-joint up, and has about 3" of splines on the end of it up inside the column.

Terry

Sounds like the shaft is two splined pieces where it goes up inside of the column so it will allow the steering shaft and column to collapse in a head-on.

Good to know I don't have squeeze under the dash.

Thanks

Miles

If the steering coupler is already removed in the engine bay, unplug the wiring to the switches on the column (or alternatively remove the switches from the column and let them dangle) then undo the four bolts that hold the column to the firewall and the two or four bolts that hold it to the underside of the dash. Withdraw the column from the cabin. Once outside the car, turn the column vertically, letting the steering shaft fall on your foot.

At least, that's how I did it. You may want to substitute something else for your foot.

Really, it's not hard at all. Good Luck!

I wonder if I just remove the bolts that hold the column to the fire wall and under the dash there would be enough movement in the column to allow the shaft to be pulled from the front and just miss the frame rail.

Miles

I believe that it will not. The bolts that hold the upper part of the column into place will need to be removed (4 bolts, 2 on each side of the column). The sheet metal used to hold the upper column in place is not very thick, and can be bent or deflected, but the flange at the bottom of the column may not allow enough movement sideways before interference prevents any further movement.