HybridZ

Thinking of crossing over

Well my current setup is a 74 260 turbo. I have a 82 motor, t3/t3 turbo, Accel DFI, large intercooler, 500cc injectors, crane ignition, Profec A boost controller, plus a Spal electric fan. The initial dyno runs gave me a little over 300 at the wheels. That was nice until the the engine blew. Second motor was more stable, but needs a rebuild. This is in less than a year of driving time. Now I get so much blowback through one of my cylinders that it looks like it is on fire. I am now considering the V8 option. I am getting a little older now so I don't need stupid speed. Just enough to put stock cars in their place. I am trying not to spend a ton of money again. With my current hardware, what can I expect to sell the items for, or should I hold onto some of them for the V8 swap? I though I could use the Spal fan, and maybe the DFI for future upgrades. If I knew then what I know now, I could have build an impressive motor. Live and learn. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jason, it sounds like you know what to keep for your new endeavor; fans, ignition (maybe) and possibly the exhaust system--what are you running now?--hopefully 2.5 inch or larger. The V8 will make your car a new reliable joy to be in (I'm stepping on toes here, sorry guys!) and you'll love it. I'm sure you have ideas for your motor, and built mild, you know it will be 300hp+ EASY! Good luck!

David

Guest Fast Frog

Welcome Jasonfen:

Your setup sounds like the one I had 6 yrs ago before I went V8. ( See, all this time you could have had a V8!! (pun pun)) I had a T04B with a 57mm compressor with a Turbonetics waste gate, CarTech intercooler and Accel's DFI. I was running an 82 ZX Turbo engine with 15-17# of boost. Was your 82 an NA or turbo engine? The turbo engine was almost bullet proof. It ran great once the turbo spooled up.

After much thot and some coaxing from an older retired friend of mine, I went 383 sbc and haven't regretted it.

Yes, you should be able to sell your turbo stuff for a respectable price. I did. You just need to be patient. You should have some perspective buyers right here on this forum! As for the Accel DFI, if you want to stay fuel inj'd, you need to get an aftermarket FI intake manifold like the one Accel makes for the sbc application, but it's pricey! One that is just as good but less expensive is TPIS's LT-1 type mini-ram FI manifold. It'll run you about $1800. plus

about $90-$100 for and 8 lead Accel FI harness and another $125-$150 for 2 more 500cc inj (are these 30 pound/hr inj?). 30 lb inj are good up to 450-475HP with 50 lbs of fuel pressure. Save your hi flo fuel pump also (I'm assuming it's not the stock Datsun one).

If I'm not mistaken, Accel is very much compatible with most GM electronics. You might be able to get a salvage late model Vette, Camaro, Firebird engine and use the Accel DFI sys with it and save some $$$.

My 383 setup is pretty much all aftermarket. Many guys here specialize with the oem GM FI setups. You know you can really save $$$ and go with conventional carburation and forget the hi tech stuff! Many guys here have great carburated setups!!

Anyway, you'll find a lot of information and assistance right here on this forum.

Good luck!!

Rick

Guest Anonymous

I have come to the darkside, and really really enjoy it. Can I hear an AMEN! this is way more fun than I should be having!

I really enjoyed bringing some respect back to the Z line. Razor and I need to hook up and go eat some rice in Albuquacky.

Ct..

Well I went to fire up the Z yesterday, and for the first time she didn't. I tried again after work and it fired right away. However, my valve cover breather looked like a smoke machine. As I see it I have two choices. I can do a "cheap" rebuild and hope it lasts me for a while until I have the funds for a conversion. Or I can park the Z for while until I have the funds. My big obstacle is I am currently engagment ring shopping. I hate to part it for so long, but I don't want to spend much more money on this engine. I guess I need to start adding up the cost of a rebuild. I forgot to mention, I also have a very nice custom aluminum radiator. Together with the Spal fan, I have trouble getting it to warm up. Even here in Texas. The fan only comes on every once in a while. So, the head should not be warped or anything.

I hope.

Guest Anonymous

Since when do Zs require an engagement ring? I thought only gas and hondas is all they wanted? Hmmm... biggrin.gif ChrisT we shall have fun this summer bullying the local ricers...It should be illegal to beat up on helpless saps like that. eek.gif

------------------

Chris

Be patient, look around, and wait for a deal to come bite you in the butt for a decent 350--just remember all the other stuff you have to change as well ($$$). The other option is to get the ring from a CrackerJack box, but I'm not so sure she'll go for that.