HybridZ

Is turbo setup priced correctly?

Bob_H

As some of you may know if you browse the classifieds - I put my Turbo-Tom setup for sale.

I won't go into super detail as that is in the ad here:

http://classifieds.hybridz.org/showproduct.php?product=3109

I just want to make sure I'm pricing it correctly. When I first tried to sell it 2 years ago, I overpriced it by way too much,($3500 I think).

I don't have to sell it, but I'd really rather not take it with me to Texas so I'm trying to price it appropriately.

Someone should be able to put all these parts on a stock turbo block and produce some nice power. If they get serious about pumping up the boost beyond 15 or so PSI, they will need race gas and will need to actually put an EGT probe into the downpipe,(already plumbed for it), and watch the temps.

I thought seriously about splitting up the parts, i.e. the HKS flywheel, the autolite distributor, the NOS, the oil pan, you get the idea. I'm sure I could make at least this much, if not more, but I don't want the hassle of tracking that many sales, etc...

I tried to find the Tidewater Z car club online, but the site is not up and running -anyone have a contact up here?

Bottom line - what would you pay, or more importantly, what would you ask if this were yours?

I only ask that if you bring a lower price, please justify why it should be lower.

-Bob

it sounds about right that's a lotta stuff your including. But like you said its old school carbed turbo, it'll work but its harder to manage than a FI turbo at least from what I hear so it might scare buyers away. But I'm sure if you find someone with money and some know how that'd take it off your hands. That's an expensive turbo though, my T3/T04E ball bearing turbo cost almost that much...

That is a smoking deal, no way I would go any lower. I agree with HadesOmega, with the ease of the FI turbo swap and upgrades, I think your setup will be a harder sell, unless you go ebay and open up your audience. Not wanting to ship it really narrows your audience too. Breaking it up into smaller pieces would definitely help you sell it faster, and make more money, but I can understand not wanting to.

So I've had several folks contact me from far away places,(i.e. looking at mailing it).

After packing up and shipping some E46 M3 rims, I'm not as adverse to shipping the setup anymore, but maybe not the really heavy items such as the Cyl. head.

I don't know... It seems the consensus is that it is indeed worth that much. The key is getting someone to buy it as it isn't exactly a normal setup.

Another option,(not a good one in my mind), is to pick up a roller 260 or 280z shell and install the setup in that car. I would guess that with a running setup I could get $4 or $5k. I figure a decent roller is in the neighborhood of 2-3k with engine maybe less.... If I only had 3 weeks off! I think in the end, if I can't sell it before I leave, I'll plan on installing it. Then at least someone gets a driveable setup. My only problem is I'm still really trying to get the Super Datsun up and running, and this would take away from that. (see threads in body and paint for pictures).

-Bob

I'm leaning more towards the parting out. I have a firm offer on the setup with some payments. I'm not really interested in taking all this with me to Texas, (leaving first week in Nov), so more immediate sales are in my best interest. I haven't made my decision on the offer to pick up the whole thing in a few months.

Let me know what parts you are specifically interested in. I'd like to keep the entire turbo parts together,(the turbo tom pieces are hard to sell on their own...).

-Bob