HybridZ

Clutch and 5 speed turbo conversion

Michael Bowen

I have a 1980 N/A 5 speed 2 seater that I'm putting a turbo engine into. The donor car had an automatic, so I'm using my Nissan 5 speed.

Two questions. Will the Nissan 5 speed handle the power of the turbo engine, and will the turbo T5 clutch work with the Nissan 5 Speed? Someone told me the input shafts were different between the T5 and the Nissan 5 speed. If so, will the clutch for the Nissan 5 speed 2+2 work well for this application, as I understand this is a larger clutch.

Thanks!!

MB

did that swap in a 81zxt. The nissan 5 speed worked fine. Your drive shaft will be okay as long as all you do is swap out the engine. Just pull your flywheel and put on turbo engine. I used a standard 225mm clutch (out of a junker) and it would slip some in first if you really jumped on it but after that okay. I'd get a centerforce clutch and put it in there unless you got a 2+2 240 mm clutch and flywheel laying around.

Don't forget to take the spacer off the end of the crank. Engines with automatic transmissons use a spacer on the crank to move the flexplate outwards to line up with the starter.

Yes, the stock NA transmission with hold up fine. Use a 240 mm clutch for a 2+2.

Thanks guys!! I feel better about the transmission now. Thanks for the spacer advice, as I had not noticed that yet.

Is $75 a fair price for a 240mm flywheel?

The decision before me now is: I have a 225mm flywheel now, and I will need a different clutch either way I go, so would it be better to go with a centerforce and my 225mm or the 240mm and a standard clutch?

a lot of ppl go with an aftermarket pp and the stock disk (or vise versa) to cut costs....thats what im gonna go with. if you get an aftermarket pp and disk then you could stick with the 225mm setup (depending on your hp level). there have been a couple good threads regarding clutch choices...