HybridZ

Washed-down cylinder walls...

Phyxius

One of my injectors recently stuck open, so that a cylinder was filled with gas... Having heard horror stories about all the oil being washed off the cylinder walls and horrible scoring happening, I was wondering if there was something I could do to relube the walls before I run the engine.

My only thought is pouring a capful or so of oil into the cylinder and turning the motor over by hand or something... anyone have any other ideas?

I'm no expert but, if you're concerned about it, you could just spray a fair amount of silicon lube through the plug hole. Remove the little tube first so it atomizes rather than focuses the oil in one spot. It's just a thought. That said, I doubt you have any worries anyway. Again though... I'm no expert on the matter.

Thanks for the tips guys...

After I cleared the cylinders, I actually cranked the engine several times before i realized that the walls could have been washed... it didn't run very long... maybe 20 seconds total... and it was sporadic at that because it was running on what little fuel seeped through the bad injectors while the system was pressurized. (I turned the pump off before cranking)

I think I'll just get some WD-40 and give each cylinder a good squirt to be on the safe side... Definitely changing the oil before running it again.

I think that should be fine. That's what I would do anyway. Maybe 2 or 3 squirts of motor oil too since it's thicker. A few cranks should spread it evenly on the walls rapidly, I'd think.

Nismofiend,

I noticed that you have "HybridS130" next to the pic of an S11 200sx? Did you install an L28 into it? Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm just curious.

Speakin' of leaking injectors, I had the same prob. on my Q45, I replaced the injectors and the new ones were defective, and I had an hour to get the car running, so I pulled the injectors out and about a pint of fuel poured into #1 cyl.

I reinstalled everything and forgot all about the fuel....cranked the engine over and BANG! (It was hydrolocked with fuel!)

I waited about 10 minutes and cranked her over again and she started (pulling plugs on this thing takes like an hour)

and ran fine. I hope I didn't damage the cylinder too bad.

looks like a white S130 to me?

And did you change your oil after you did all this? The fuel that was in there had 3 places to go. One, down the cyl past the rings and into the oil, and then out each valve, but they were probably closed at that point. So you should have checked your oil for a gas smell or changed it.

~Alex

Yeah it's a 1979 280zx 2+2. I changed my username from nismofiend to hybrids130 on aim, yahoo, and all other forums I belong to several months ago. I just forgot to do it on this one as well, I've already sent a pm to admin though.

I didn't want to have to change it again when i do actually get around to the motor swap so I just went ahead with hybrid. Plan on doing either a L28ET swap or RB20 swap depending on costs, difficulty, availability and power differences.

Sorry to hijack thread.