HybridZ

90 300zx NA questions

Guest xtremebhill

Guest xtremebhill

First off i bought this car for $600 the car is in great shape other than it wont start. When i try to start it i just hear a loud clicking like maybe the battery or starter is bad but i replaced the battery and tryed again same thing loud clicking.. I try to push start it and it just locked up the back tires. So my next guess is the timing belt broke.. so i took off the cover and it is fine. I dont know if the motor is locked up or not but if anyone has any ideas that would be great.. Also if the motor is locked up i was wondering how hard it would be to do the 300zx twin turbo swap if anyone can link a wright up on how to do it. Thanks!

To see if the engine is locked up, grab a socket and a breaker bar and put it on the crankshaft pulley bolt and turn. It doesnt matterwhich way. If it does turn, then the motor is not locked up.

Also when you tried to push start the car you should use at least 2nd or 3rd gear as the gear reduction in the trans will cause less speed and more torque to be applied to the engine in 1st gear causing the tires to drag.

A lot of times when the starter goes bad it will simply "click" or even grind. What causes it to click is the solenoid engaging. You may want to check the connections going to the starter and your grounds, make sure all of them are good, as a bad power or ground connection will cause the starter to not get the appropriate voltage/amperage to actually turn over the engine.

Now if the engine does turn over with a breaker bar and all the connections are good, look into a starter replacement.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest xtremebhill

i took the starter off and bench tested it. it spun and seemed to work fine.. i then took out the spark plugs to see if i could get it to turn over by pushing it with it in gear.. it didnt budge just rocked back and forth. How do i get to the crank pully with out taking the raidiator out to use the breaker bar? or anyother ideas on how to check to see if its locked up?

put some ATF down the plug holes over night then the next day try 3rd gear when push starting it.

Far as the TT swap goes its more involved just removing the engine than really anything else. my friend did it in his z32 and recently just yarded his tt engine back out due to alot of smoke coming out the back and other various noises emitting from it. I believe he used a TT harness, ECU, and a non auto tt engine(turbos are apparently smaller on the auto versions). Then for intercooling he bought a kit from the company he works for which is ETS(extreme turbo systems) and also they can probly answer any questions you may have. The owner of ETS has several Z32's including a 9 second turbo charged SBC stroker z32. peace.