HybridZ

slow acceleration

Guest Spoon

I've had this car a little more than 2 weeks now. It's a 1983 280ZX Turbo 2+2 automatic. It's only got 61k miles on it and in pretty good condition. I got it from the original owner and he seemed to keep really good care of it. The only thing i'm really concerned about is the slow acceleration. From a rolling start I can take off pretty good (for being an auto) but from a stop it seems a bit slow. What could be causing this?

Why no 6 more? I have access to a BMW v12. I'm not really interested in putting in that much time and work at the moment. I might swap to a bigger engine at some point but with only 61k miles this one should still have a bit more life in it.

I'll take it out for a run in a few minutes and try to time the 0-60 the best I can. Maybe I'm just expecting more out of it. Or maybe it just feels slow.

muffler may play a part in it. I knocked on it and I could hear metal things bounce around in it. So, there is a good chance it might be a bit restricting.

Yeah, I was doing a little research and found close to the same numbers. It still feels really slow on take off though. I'd be surprised if my Sonata(also an auto) didn't beat it off the line.

Yeah, I was doing a little research and found close to the same numbers. It still feels really slow on take off though. I'd be surprised if my Sonata(also an auto) didn't beat it off the line.

Have you tried loading up the torque converter?

I've beaten lots of cars off the line when doing this, the A/T let me build about 4lbs boost off the line and it moved nicely.

It's a 5 speed now though.... more fun.

Mario

Make sure the kickdown switch and vacuum modulator are working. My 81zxt got smoked off the line by my son's Honda until I got up around 45 then said bye bye. Couldn't figure then one day at a light I pulled it down into first manually. wonder of wonders she took off pretty good then. Turns out someone disconnected the kickdown switch for unknown reasons so she was shifting into second at about 5 mph. when you trying to get off the line in second she pretty slow. Remember also straight six doesn't spool up like a v and takes awhile to come on boost. I went five speed route but you need to find donor car with all the right parts in place