HybridZ

240z coilovers with progressive spring rates?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Check with Mike, maybe he could just order the progressive springs. Afco racing has them I believe, I'd check with him though.

Regards,

Lone

hypercoil nor does eibach that i know of) make them but i have some progressive rate 3" tuning springs that you put under neath the coilover itself. .. these are 2.5" ID and about 3" in length. i have a set of those here which are 175-250 i believe, and they can go with any rated coilover spring

you would add about $200 to the set to add the progressive tuners to a set of coilovers.

i do think afco make a progressive spring but i wouldnt use it....

Just wondering why go for progressive rate springs?

They do tend to give a softer ride but for circuit work this would be a disadvantage. May work on a rally car that has a lot of suspension travel and probably would be more comfortable for general use.

But if your car is lowered you may run out of suspension travel when hitting a big bump etc. Just my thoughts.

Eibach sells their progressive rate springs that lower a stock Z about 1". That gives the Z about 3" of travel before crashing the bumpstops, yes? I suppose you could lower the car 2" with the coilovers and have only 2" left--the progressive end of things is what 1/2" or so? Which leaves only 1.5" of travel left...it does get close to my uncomfortable zone too. icon_sad.gif

Davy

Yes, 2" travel is about what I have on the front of my lowered 260 which has around 50/50 weight distribution. Was using 220 pound (inch?) springs on the front, getting a lot of front end dive under heavy braking and probably using all travel under extreme cornering, even though I use heavy sway bars front and rear.

Changed to 250 at the front, same as the rear, and its a lot better. Still rides ok on the road, in fact it seems better over the bumps.

You know, that is very interesting. I have had people tell me their 185 lb springs were too stiff, and others say their 250 lb springs feel pretty good on the road...I'm not sure what to believe! icon_confused.gif

I guess the only way to find out what is "right" for me is to sample a ride in quite a few different Zs. Ah well, there is still time.

Davy

well to throw my hat in the ring: I loved my TRW progressive rear springs for daily/track/mountains/everything!

I agree progressives aren't for a race ONLY competition car but for anything else they can certainly be OK if the driver wants a softer edge for city driving. My 375/250 rates are stiff now (not sure why Ground Control picked those rates/they wanted 350 fronts but couldn't get them in 7") and the car is quite neutral (not my opinion/that of some experienced drivers that experienced/reviewed it at Shasta last summer).

Of course shocks come into the equation, too, I use Koni adjustables and set them on the softest setting for road use, makes a huge difference. Plus its subjective, if you changed over from a softly sprung limo to mine you would probably notice the difference!

Personally I don't know of any racer using progressive rate 2.5 or 2.25" coil over springs, at least by choice. One of the big reasons to run coil overs is how much easier it is to swap springs to setup a car for a specific track.

Normally, shock tuning is used to adjust what the street oriented progressive rate springs are supposed to do. Progressive rate springs make shock tuning much more difficult, if not impossible.

That being said, they do work well on street cars.