HybridZ

loss of pressure in brake pedal and an oil leak

ok my driver side rear wheel cylinder went out so i had to get a new one. My car sat for about a month with a leaking rear cylinder. I replace it then when I'm done bleeding my brakes i notice that my brake pedal is soft when i push it slow but when i step on it fast its hard...Is their air in the line? or is it my master cylinder ? or my brake booster?...

-there are no other leaks

-oh and real quick: my can leaks oil under the oil filter somewhere...anyone else have this problem or is it just my fliter?

thnks guys any help would be much appretiated.

-jeremy

I dont know what year Z you have but the 1st Gen z's are really difficult to get all the air out of the brake lines.

The reason for this is because of how the master cyl is designed. It is designed to allow a higher pressure in the front chamber to leak into the other chamber in the event the other chamber experiences a leak: in that event the two chambers would equalize. The design of the master cyl allows either chamber to bleed into the other depending on which chamber has the leak in it.

Becaust of this design you have to bleed the brakes about 10 to 12 times if you are doing it manually.

Be sure that when you are bleeding your brakes you begin with the furthest wheel away from the master cyl. Start with the right rear passenger side, then the left rear drivers side, then the right front passenger side, and lastly the front left drivers side.

If you bleed the brakes about 10 to 12 times and your power brakes still do not improve - then you have a bad master cyl or a defective power brake booster.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Not being there to hear the sound I would venture a long distance guess that your brake master cylinder is bleeding internally.

Many times when the brake booster goes bad it also will make an "air/swooshing" sound when it goes bad.

Being that the master cylinder is a whole lot cheaper than a brake booster - I would buy and install a new "Rebuilt" brake master cylinder. Dont buy a new one unless you are just dead set on "New" as a rebuilt unit generally lasts as long as a brand new one.

Make sure and use "Line Wrenches" when loosening and tightening the hydraulic lines connected at the master cylinder.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)