HybridZ

Natural Gas Conversion - Fill Up In Your Garage For $1/Galon

Guest Mike

You will be amazed who has CNG available for fillup. Many schools have a dispenser since their bus fleets run on it, and they have one public dispenser. Or will give you a top off for free (when is the last time you heard of free fuel for someone in need?)

If you are thinking of doing a V8 conversion (I didn't realize!) then the EASIEST thing to do it pick up a Crown Vic with a Modular 4.6L surplus, and simply cannabilize it for the fuel system including the engine. The Ford dedicated CNG engines have part numbers and service at most Ford Dealerships. If you want more, find a van or pickup with the 5.4. ECU is already set up for economy and optimized for the engine, service parts are available nationwide, and surplus government CNG vehicles are CHEAP! Not uncommon to get one for under $3K!!! Nobody wants them due to paranoia about getting fuel. As you see, that is not an issue.

Doing it that way, you would probably only be out the cost of the smaller tanks for the Z. I think the Crown Vic tanks would be too long to fit under the car. That would probably be the largest cost of the conversion is the new fuel tanks.

They are supposedly required to be recertified like any other pressure vessel (think scuba tanks), so if they are 10+ years old, they probably wouldn't be certifiable. But if that is the case, the vehicle they would be in would be CHEAPER STILL! Muahahaha, I am a proud vulture, feasting on the carrion of gevernmental regulations! LOL

sounds interesting, but I like to drive around out of town, and somtimes across the state, and i wouldn't be able to do that since most of those gas stations on the highways don't have natural gas, especially if it was late at night or somthing... so it's basically a local driver if you do this. I don't know if i'd want to have to search for gas if i drive out of town...

240zV8... The car I want to convert is a local driver only so this is perfect. If I can get more performance along with all the other pluses, I'm in!!

TONY... any estimates on HP/torque achievable with CNG? I want to build a strong SBC 434 stroker. BTW, do you know how CNG reacts to N2O injection?