HybridZ

anyone FI and carborated?

texis30O

I am picking up a 72' boosted Z with water/meth, 150 shot of Nitrous, and 20lbs. of boost. How hard is it going to be to tune ? Should I change over to Megasquirt ?

Okay, I'm going to be nice. Start off with a Searching. In particular look at a couple of members running similar setups. Garrett76, 510six, etc. You aren't very clear as to your fuel induction system, weather it be carb or fuel injection. Since you mention mega-squirt I'm going to assume you're running Fuel Injection.

For the amount of boost that you are running, etc. I'd recommend some sort of aftermarket ecu, i.e. mega-squirt, SDS, or similar. Its not going to be easy to tune in comparison to a NA vehicle, however it depends on WHAT you're wanting to tune. Tuning can be very complex or simple depending on what program you use and what settings you are wanting/willing to change at risk of damage to your vehicle. I'd recommend picking up some of Corky Bells' Books on Turbochargers and Fuel Induction, as well as a book on tuning your vehicle for maximum power. Hope this help, be sure to use the search function on this site, it will answer most of your questions.

Tyson

Tyson, I suspect this car is carbureted...We still need to know if you are using SUs (I want pics if you are using stock location SUs!), a single draw through SU (or some other draw through setup), a 4-barrell, the weber down draughts (anybody ever seen that done? I haven't...) or the side draught triples. The lengthy thread about fuel pressure regulators on a carbed car might be helpful. How hard is it going to be to tune? That depends, what is your tuning experience prior to owning this vehicle? We'll definitely need more information about your setup to answer that question.

What are your goals for the car? That is not a very common turbo setup, so just cleaning it up and making sure it runs ok will get you a lot of comments at car shows, but if ultimate performance is what you want, there are lots of ways to do that. Period correct is cool, but so is balls to the wall speed...

Period correct is cool, but so is balls to the wall speed...

Amen. Realistically, its not like you see any high quality origional datsuns going on the Barret Jackson block...from what ive seen, a good turbo swap and FI go for more than a cherry restored one...just what IVE seen...

The paint is original, the motor has 78,xxx Original Miles on it, and the VIN # is in the low 800's. With all of this under consideration I was thinking of keeping it the way it it. But I do agree, BALLS OUT POWER is the best. But I was told that this thing was putting out mid 400's to the wheels. It was using 103 octane as well. Or that was what he always ran in it to get the 20lbs of boost. I am not sure, if I go EFI then I will go all out on the car. suspension, paint, interior, wheels, cowl hood, flares, front lip......I just need to get my hands on it first to see what shape it really is. I wonder if there really is that much value to this car once it is on the road again.

If it has that much power, just leave it and focus on suspension. I think it might be a bit optimistic, but TonyD says he was getting some good power from his old draw through setups, and I know it's been done before. I vote for see what you've got to work with, and go from there first. If it runs fine, don't worry about it.

I talked with the owner yesterday for about an hour about the car. IT is a TURBO TOM system.....Tom himself did the tune on the car originally. Tom and the owner were friends and hung out quite often. The motor was bluprinted with Tom to be a perfect match for his system......Now All I have to do is get it up and running.........