HybridZ

Crank has rust on it, need some help

Mycarispurty

Ok I had a spare F54 bottom end that I had in storage, disassembled. My parents moved and took it with them since they were closing accounts with that storage place, and they left it sitting out behind the fence in the backyard w/o telling me. They didn't put oil or spray any wd40 on it or anything. The bores have a little bit of surface rust, I assume not bad. The crank seems to worry me a little more. With just surface rust from rain and stuff, how likely is it that the crank needs to be turned and different size bearings used? I know they're tough as far as going a billion miles, but as far as them seeing rust, do they usually stand up well to it or what? I'm just looking for some people's insight who has had a problem like that before.

If it is more than just surface rust and needs to be turned, would it be a better idea to just find another crank that's fresh from a parts car or something and have it checked to see if it's good to go? I don't know if turning the Z cranks will degrade their function or quality in any way.

We had a crank like that when I took engines class a few semesters ago. The company that redid it just polished the rust off, they took off so little material that we could still use standard sized bearings. I'd take it down to the machine shop and see how bad it really is. I dont have much experience with Z engines but oversized bearings usually aren't the end of the world. But if your looking for the most power possible from this engine then you might want to consider a different crank, especially since they dont cost too terribly much.

I dont have much experience with Z engines but oversized bearings usually aren't the end of the world. But if your looking for the most power possible from this engine then you might want to consider a different crank, especially since they dont cost too terribly much.

I have no experience in oversize bearings at all, what are the disadvantages of having a crank which needs them? Would it affect power?