HybridZ

Northstar

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

HEY GUYS, I FOUND A WEB SITE THAT SPECIALIZES IN MODIFIED TRANSMISSIONS, BELLHOUSINGS, AND ACCESSORIES TO CONVERT THE CADILLAC NORTHSTAR TO REAR WHEEL DRIVE APPLICATION. NOW THAT WOULD LOOK INTERESTING IN A Z CAR. THE WEB SITE IS WWW.CHRFAB.COM

CHECK IT OUT IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING REALLY DIFFERENT.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Caddy motors look really trick all polished and such. If prices are really from $600 to $10000, then they are in the ballpark of some people's affordability. Since the motor is not BIG in terms of cubic inches, I'm wondering just how wide these engines are? I think the fit would be pretty good. Very high tech looking and those guys have interesting solutions to some problems.

By the way Terry, try not to post in all capital letters--it's almost like you're shouting. Better to use the lower case if possible and only use caps to emphasize something smile.gif

Cheers,

David

Guest Anonymous

Yeah I've seen that sight. The Northstars when dressed out can look like Hemi's almost. Pretty cool, and I've seen ad's for them about 2500 bucks for a long block (can't recall how complete), with the right bellhousing it'd make a sweet swap engine for sure.

Regards,

Lone

Guest JAMIE T

I have been considering this swap for a 250 GTO replica, I think the big valvecovers would look good under the hood, thanks for adding the link to that site. The prices seem reasonable, I mean $250 for headers is cheap compared to some places, and they look racy too! The stick shift flywheel is just what I was looking for!

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by JAMIE T:

I have been considering this swap for a 250 GTO replica, I think the big valvecovers would look good under the hood, thanks for adding the link to that site. The prices seem reasonable, I mean $250 for headers is cheap compared to some places, and they look racy too! The stick shift flywheel is just what I was looking for!

Guest John Adkins

does the Northstar have the normal Buick-Old-Pontiac bellhousing bolt pattern?

Just curious.... Sounds like a cool motor- an all aluminum 4 valve V8! A high revver for sure...

Within the last couple of months one of the HotRod type rags has run a series of articles on these motors including some dyno runs I thought. All done up with billet ($$) they look REALLY nice! I guess before I got too excited about it I'd want to know what sort of HP they make - anyone know? That would certainly pop some eyes when you opened the hood though smile.gif Very nioce site that as linked but where are the dyno sheets? (sigh)

Prior to starting my Z conversion I was contemplating on doing a Fiero engine conversion with the Northstar (I also own an anemic 2.5L 86 Fiero). This would really make a very interesting conversion for sure, either in the Z or Fiero. One very unique feature about this engine is its low weight. This engine weighs only 402 pounds - now that is light for putting out 295 ponies. I have read that some turbo applications have been developed for it too! 400-500HP and a weight of 400lb - WOW!

Danno74Z

Guest Anonymous

Guys, here is another link w/some specific info. on the Northstar inc. engine dimensions, weight, and some power specs.Also a couple of sources for custom wiring harnesses and other accessories. The site is http://members.tripod.com/~grannys/enginescadillac.html I am most impressed w/the torque specs. of this mill.( 400ft/lbs. for a 400lb+ engine)

Well, I just took a look at a Ford 4.6 that should make a good 600+ hp and live - with 15+lbs of boost smile.gif Too wide to fit in a Z I think and I don't know the weight but for 283 cubes that pretty nice!

So, how much better is the tunnel intake vs the stock one? I seem to recall that the motor is symetrical and that this is why they can turn the intake 180 degrees, yes? What kind of revs do they see? Torque? It certainly has some visual impact. It's pretty neat, as technology gets better we get higher HP motors with smaller displacement. Nothing beats boost! smile.gif

Guest RadMike

I'm still deciding on a engine/tranny combo for my 78 280Z swap. The Northstar certainly looks interesting. Check out the price in Terry's link. $2,500.00!! For a brand new complete engine. All aluminum,32 valve, EFI. Yikes, that seems like a great deal. Very tempting.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah I believe it is symetrical as you say they turn the lower rise FI around 180 degree's. Not sure if its narrower than Fords DOHC, it looks it, but not having seen one first hand or yardsticked one I donno.

I can say that if I were doing a rod, it would be this motor in a heart beat. A track T roadster with this in front and a six speed (soon to be developed bellhousing for the T56)? Yeah, I could REALLY live with that. Now if only a few more of them bluehairs out there could wreck a few more of those STS's... smile.gif

Lone

i read the granny's speed shop link.the v is 60 degrees instead of 90 for normal v8 .that is why it is smaller and would fit better in a z.the link said trans pattern is same as old 2.8 chevy v6 except for cutting a notch for starter some of the old camaros ran a t5 behind 2.8 so you could probably get it going on cheap parts .engine was built small so it could be installed sideways in fwd car.the caddy dealer techs next door to ford dealer where i work are always flooring it in the caddies and they sound real healthy.

Guest Anonymous

Stock about 300 hp. Thats pretty good out of 4.6 litre. But one like this:

MVC-171S.JPG

would have to make more. Look sick as hell in a Z. (be a little hard to see around though... smile.gif )

Lone

In a rod I agree, this puppy would rock! In a Z I'm not quite as sure since it's not been done. I'd bet that if you asked them for measurements and whatnot they'd be happy to provide them. Heck, the wow factor alone makes it pretty interesting just make sure you factor in what the induction and headers could cost. They don't yet have block huggers right? I didn't notice but do they have EFI harnesses ready to roll? Note too the cost of valve covers and be sure to check out what mounting things like an alternator would cost. Would be pretty darned coool smile.gif

Guest RadMike

Here is an update. That $2,500.00 price tag is no more. Speedway wants $3,750.00 for the engine now. This also does not include the ECU. I'm going to get some detailed measurements this weekend to see how feasible this really is. There are a number of aftermarket ECU's out there as well. I have been told they are getting 400HP out of these with the aftermarket ECU. All the EFI stuff is included except for the ECU.

Guest RadMike

Ouch is right, but... I called chrfab.com today. They are selling the northstar for $2,800.00. Now we are back in the ball park. This does not include the computer. Holley makes an ECU (commander 950) that is supposed to be plug and play. I'm still checking prices but the ECU,wiring harness,sensors etc... can be had for approx $1300.00. Now we are talking about a complete ready to run (except for exhaust) northstar for $4,100.00. Yes this is a chunk of change but you get a brand new, warrantied, ligthweight all aluminum, DOHC, 32 valve, EFI, 325+ HP motor. This seems like a good value. What do you guys think?

I'm going to check the boneyards tomorrow to see how difficult (and costly) it is to find one of these motors as well.

This just seems like a really slick swap to me.