HybridZ

Rings, Compression Test, and smoke

midnightmoonlight

Hello,

My engine is smoking all the time from the tail pipe just plain gray smoke. It doesnt smell like antifreeze and my PVC is functioning.

My compresion is 96,93,96,99,100,91 thats 1-6. I did a leak down test on #1 and Im getting air from oil fill. When I have some more time Im going to go through the test on all the cylinders.

My question is if my car sat for 6 years and has only run for about 25 miles tops never going over 60. This car has run mostly idling so I could work out the bugs. Is there any chance my rings just need to reseat themselves? The car was running very rich when I got my hands on it. It has 160k. The reason Im asking is I have a spare motor that has sat a long time too but only has 60k on it and it leaks past the rings as well.

Thanks for the help

Just to let you know I bought a Ford 302 years ago that had literally only been driven to church on Sunday, by an old lady and it had sat for over 12 months.

The first time I drove it on the freeway it left a blue smoke haze behind, I also thought that I would need to rebuild the engine (45,000 original miles) but after driving it hard for a few weeks, the smoke gradually stopped and the engine ran for another 200,000 without missing a beat?

Whats the break in time and process after installing new rings? What are the specs on ring measurements? I can probable find them in the FSM. When I pull this engine apart Ill check to make sure, on the off hand chance it has new rings from PO. Im going to be pulling the head this winter no mater what so I can check em then.