HybridZ

oil restrictor or no restrictor?

nismopu

The restrictor is there to decrease the oil pressure to the turbo, so that you don't blow oil out past the seals. Restricting the return line would not be a good idea.

You should be fine without one. Just run a -3 (preferably teflon) feed line - that should be restriction enough.

It won't hurt anything to give it a try without a restrictor in the oil SEND line. Like Tim said, you absolutely don't want to restrict the oil return, unless you enjoy huge clouds of oil smoke.

I ran my t3/t4 with no rectrictor and it was fine for ~2000 miles, then started to smoke a bit. I added in a restrictor and it's working perfectly again.

Definitely run a restrictor, unless you like the smell of burning oil.

You can also just weld the end of a steel AN adapter in the feed line and drill a very small hole through the weld. I cant remember the drill bit size I used but it was around 0.06" IIRC. You really dont need (or want) a lot of flow into the turbo.

The drain can be as large as you want, but there's no point making it larger than 3/8". It's gravity fed and should not be restricted.

- Greg -

• 2 months later...

I am currently running a T3/TO4 turbo on my 77 280Z and I just took the intercooler line off of the turbo and it has oil in it! Also I am getting oil around the outside of the compressor housing. I checked the oil inlet and outlet for a leak but they are both clean. So it looks like I may need to restrict the oil flow?

I am running a 3AN braided steel feed line so apparently I am still getting to much oil to the turbo.

Oh yea the turbo was reworked and checked by Garrett less then a year ago so it should still be good to go.

I also look at my drill bit set and a #52 bit is 0.0635, this should work. Now I just need to plug the fitting and drill it out. So I will be off to the hardware store for a set screw of the correct size to plug my housing fitting. Then drill it out.

Now with this restrictor installed will I have to be even more careful about letting the turbo spin down before shutting off the car?

What do you all think?

HB280ZT

My PCV is set up in the factor location, i.e. the tube running from the front of the motor to the bottom of the intake manifold. I also have the valve cover vent running into the intake pipe right before the turbo, I have checked this hose and it is clean of all oil. So what now?

I did look at the oil feed line to my turbo and it has a diameter of .120 with a 3AN feed line. So I just made a restrictor that changes the diameter to .070. We will see if this changes anything. Also I found that I need a new oil pump so a new one is now on order.

Thanks

HB280ZT

• 4 months later...

anyone using a restrictor on a Holset turbo?!

im having some weird problems with oil blowing out of the seal, I tried a new PCV setup without much luck.

Im still running stock lines, I kinda want to just "bend" it and reduce the flow. But that would be the wrong way to do it lol