HybridZ

280zx headers

are there any full length headers that come close to fitting. i read that most guys used 5205 S&S but i didnt read about anyone trying them on zx's. i know that jtr has shorties but they are 1 5/8 primaries and i want 1 3/4 and full length. i know grumpy listed like 5 headers that might work a couple of weeks ago but i coudlnt find it. oh and i am also going to use the jtr kit.

There aren't any that I know of other than the JTR's for the rack and pinion set ups, which are the shorties like you said. If you have the reciprocating ball type steering then you are pretty much out of luck all together because no one that I know of makes a set of bolt on headers. Most guys use ramhorn style manifolds. I used a block hugger on the passenger side and built one for the drivers side(shorty).

Guy

I bought a pair of 2.5" electric cutouts for that purpose, but I really don't have any room to mount them. From the tranny to the tailpipe, my exhaust hangs too low to mount the cutouts - they would sit around 3 inches off the ground, so they would be destroyed in no time. The only place I may be able to possibly squeeze them in would be between the headgasket and when then pipes make the 90* bend to run parallel with the chassis, but even then, the space is ridiculously limited. I'm planning on buying a couple of Dynomax Ultraflow bullet mufflers to replace the Flowmaster Super Delta 40 series in hopes of increasing exhaust flow as much as possible, and hopefully eliminating the horrible resonance noise. Since the bullets are straight-through mufflers, I probably won't bother with cutouts.

280w/383 - Do you have a full exhaust system on your Zx, or does it just simply end behind the front tires?

The way my exhaust setup is, the collector goes straight down between the frame and the intermediate shaft, then makes its 90* bend towards the rear of the car.

th-5205.jpg

I can picture it working with these headers as they have a similar design, but I doubt it would work because you're absolutely right, that intermediate shaft is a b*tch.