HybridZ

quick simple t56 question???

im doing my harness and was wondering whats neccesary to keep on the t56 connectors? do i really need the reverse lockout? what does it really do anyways, i know about the vss and the back up light connectors, just not sure if it neccesary to keep the reverse lockout. im buying connectors for these and dont want to purchase something i dont really need. i searched and cant find what z t56 guys really keep. thanks in advance.

Yes keep the reverse lockout. If you remove the solenoid for the reverse lockout, the 4th to fith shift will get you reverse most of the time, no fun at speed! If you leave it and don't use it, the shift to reverse will be a two handed job.

Some have used a relay from the brake light switch to power the solenoid, others have used a lighter spring in the solenoid to make the shift possible but still requires some increased effort.

so pretty much what it does is, it helps guide the shifter into reverse? ok, ill hook it up anyways. so i wire that to the brake light switch correct? thanks in advance.

It keeps the car from going into reverse when you shift to fifth. With it open (powered or missing) the gate to reverse is open.

Use a relay from the brake light switch. With the brakes on, the relay is powered and the power from the relay opens the solenoid.

Hope that helps.

It keeps the car from going into reverse when you shift to fifth. With it open (powered or missing) the gate to reverse is open.

Use a relay from the brake light switch. With the brakes on, the relay is powered and the power from the relay opens the solenoid.

Hope that helps.

I'm wondering what happens when downshifting with the brakes on. I could potentially see a problem...say your on the freeway and downshift because someone in front of you is going too slow.

thoughts??

It doesn't help guide you into reverse, it keeps you from accidently hitting it instead of a forward gear. Just wire up the thing. Keep the rev. lights seperate, thats what the other pigtail is for anyway. Hot ignition on, and add a micro switch near the shifter. Some use a shift knobs with button and wire them. The reverse gate can be "crashed" through w/o wiring up, but why defeat a good system? You are going through the effort to swap engines and transmissions, what's one or two wires?

im not sure what you meant by adding a micro switch. im assuming with this switch, you have to swtich it everytime going into the reverse? where does the wires go to if you guys dont mind me asking? i havent looked into it yet...one goes to ignition on and the other???

• 2 years later...

deMideon and Mike kZ,

I like your idea of keeping the lockout functional yet simple. Does anyone have a specific spring recommendation (part number or application) that works well for them or is this a trial and error/personal preference situation. I'm open to suggestions as to where I might find a wide selection of springs if no one has a specific "preferred" spring(s). My T56 is currently on a furniture dolly so I'm thinking I may not be able to get a good feel for what is too stiff or too weak at this point.

I'm trying my best to get as many of the little things handled as I go. I'm hoping to plan this well enough so that once I get started I won't get frustrated and stop work when I find that I need an additional six months to find all the little odds and ends and a loan to pay for them. No doubt, there will be enough "issues" to deal with along the way without that. I want to get as many of the known loose ends handled before I get started!

Thanks,

Paul

BTW: Where's the spell checker? I NEED one, bad!

I "tweaked" the spring by giving it a good stretch (vice + vice grips), then cut it off to the same length as before. This effectively reduces the spring constant. As I recall, I ended up about doubling its' length before cutting. Took a couple of tries before I got it right. It requires a firm push, and quite effectively prevents reverse engagement.

Note that you'll have to "tweak" it more if you use a short shifter - the moment arm is reduced with a smaller lever.