HybridZ

Feedback on Kumho Ecsta MX tires

I'm looking for new tires that will fit a 16X8" rim. I want some sticky street tires that I can use for a couple Auto-X seasons. I drive the car to and from events so they need to be hard enough for street/highway and allow me to remain in the novice class.

I only expect to use these for 2 seasons so a long tread wear isn't that big a deal.

I'm looking very hard at the Kumho ECSTA MX tires in the 225/50-16 size. These will fit my rims and clear the fender openings, although it will be tight at the spring perch.

Has anyone run these tires?

If so what do you think of them?

Any other reccommendations of tires to look at? I don't want to spend a huge amount as I only plan to use them for a couple years, then I'll move to the E-MOD class and start running slicks.

Thanks

Wheelman

Hey Wheelman, those tires are all right i had them on my honda

(i know ricer) but i didn't like the feel of them. i liked the ecsta v70a

to me they seem to grab a bit better. also what's your budget, sometimes

there are other better tires for a few bucks more, but that's my opinion

i'm sure you'll get a whole bunch of differetn answers.

I would go with the Falken Azenis RT-615's. Compared to the old Azenis, the new ones kick butt. Howvere, they are a bit pricey now. I noticed when your really beating on the tire with excessive cornering you dont get the "Mushyness" like the old Azenis tire. I highly recoment this tire.

check it out:

http://www.falkentire.com/615micro.htm

my next tire recomentdation would be the Yokohoma AVS-es100.

Very manageable through cornering, and great wet traction.

I never had one complaint about these tires, all around excelent street/performance tire.

check out some reviews.

Oh and IMHO no matter what car, ive never liked Kuhmo street tires.

I've had some problems with yoko's dry routing before they even got worn down. (houston, tx) I run kumohs on my car and my girls we run the 711's though on our 17s. They discontinued the tire though it's replaced with the MX i believe... not sure...but the 711's are just awesome for what you spend on them.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'm not to concerned about wet traction at this point as I don't plan to run Auto-X in the rain and South Eastern WA gets very little anyway.

I'm currently running Yokohama Avid H4s and they are way to hard. I also want to get the widest tires that will fit on my rims as I'm traction limited pretty bad right now.

I have to say that it's pretty tough to beat the Kumhos on price ($68.00 each from Tire Rack) but I really was hoping someone would have some experience with them. The ratings on Tire Rack's website look really good so I guess I'll give them a try. I only plan to use them for a couple seasons so not a big deal if I don't like them.

Wheelman

Very happy with the MXs when I ran them on the Corvette. They do better on heavier cars (2,800 to 3,200 lbs).

EDIT: About 6,000 miles of street driving, three competitve autocrosses, one instructor autocross (MSA 2005), and one track instructor day.

Very happy with the MXs when I ran them on the Corvette. They do better on heavier cars (2,800 to 3,200 lbs).

EDIT: About 6,000 miles of street driving, three competitve autocrosses, one instructor autocross (MSA 2005), and one track instructor day.

I totally agree. I've run the Azenis RT-215 on my //M Coupe and I run the Kumho MX on it now. The Azenis would overheat easily and get greasy. Wet traction was non-existant. The Kumho's are much better suited to the car and my style of driving. I find them fairly predictable at the limit as well. They also don't get too greasy. however, I have gone through two sets and once they wear past say 60% or so, they deteriorate rapidly.

I wouldn't consider a 240Z a heavy car by any means. The Kumho's are definitely better suited to a 2800-3200lb car as John suggested. The Azenis would likely provide better grip since they heat up quickly, but due to the lower weight of the 240Z, they shouldn't overheat and get greasy as they do on heavier cars.