HybridZ

Why is the Throttle Body Water Cooled?

JSM

This is a Sunday driver. I'm only allowed 5000 miles per my insurance. It is a third car.

So in my mind, grind it off!

I'm curious how carbon builds when no gas is near the TB? Just air. Is this due to gases flowing back from the injectors? Doesn't make sense to me.

• Administrators

I'm curious how carbon builds when no gas is near the TB? Just air. Is this due to gases flowing back from the injectors? Doesn't make sense to me.

Not gas. Oil vapor from the PCV=carbon build-up.

• Administrators
Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about but if I vent the PCV valve why would it run through the intake?

Not following you. The PCV system pulls crank-case vapors into the intake manifold (with manifold vacuum) via the PCV valve. The PCV valve is plumbed into the bottom, central portion of a stock manifold.

related subject..... so if i finally get brave enough to try to attach my weber throtle body.. i dont need to figure out some way to reattache that weird pointy thing under the oem throttle body ?? which im assuming is the water valve. or did i wander into the twilight zone? =)

i was always curious why there was water running to the Tb

Not following you. The PCV system pulls crank-case vapors into the intake manifold (with manifold vacuum) via the PCV valve. The PCV valve is plumbed into the bottom, central portion of a stock manifold.

Correct, I will vent (Small Air Cleaner) the PCV, meaning not having it suck back into the intake.

Don't vent your PCV... I'll never understand why people do that. The PCV is drawing noxious and acidic gases out of the crankcase that can eat away at components and contaminate oil. It's actually a very good thing to have, not just an emissions piece as some think it is.

• Administrators
Don't vent your PCV... I'll never understand why people do that. The PCV is drawing noxious and acidic gases out of the crankcase that can eat away at components and contaminate oil. It's actually a very good thing to have, not just an emissions piece as some think it is.

Yeeup... and Yeup.

Oh, and Yeup.

If you CAN keep the PCV, please do. Your engine will thank you for it in the long run.

The function of PCV helps in soo many ways, yet takes noting anyway in the way of performance. In fact, it can be argued that the PCV will help KEEP performance for the reasons listed above. Your bearings and rings will last longer, your oil will remain cleaner between oil changes etc. Keep it if you have the choice.

Just my $.02