HybridZ

Drive train vibration?

karl

Sorry for starting a new thread, but I've looked for the answer and can't find. I've had a vibration that seems to be coming from the trans-tunnel at 70mph or more. I have changed the trans. mount the drive shaft, new u-joints with rebalance, changed half-shafts, diff. mount, second 1983 5speed trans. first one blew a bearing, new wheels and tires but the vibration continues!! I drive approx. 4000 miles a month and have been for two and a half years with three more months to go but the vibration is getting excruciating at this point, plus I got a $200 ticket this weekend!!!that could have almost bought my Q45 axles! My car is a 1971 built in 70 Z and I read in here that they had a vib. problem, so I bought a 280z mustache bar to move the diff. back into a better position, will I have to buy a different drive shaft/diff. mount/etc. and will this work. Please for my sanity help me. I do not want to spend much more money as I'll be starting my 7MGTE/Q45 swap next spring plus that ^%#% ticket. Thanks

Karl

Hey Karl,

To move the differential back to the later ('72 on) position you will need a later R180 mustache bar and a curved rear suspension crossmember. If the 280 bar you have is for an R200 you will need to re-drill it (a big pain, it's spring steel) to mount your R180 or just get an R200 diff. You will want to anyways after you swap in a stronger motor. The rear crossmember you have now is straight and it will interfere with the relocated diff. For the front diff mount you just spin it around 180* and bolt it up.

That help?

Edit: Yes, you will need a longer drive shaft from a later car. Hit the local Pic-n-Pull. You should be able to gather all the parts for less than the cost of your ticket. Slow down buddy, save money!

Thanks Dan, I found a 260z at a pick and pull. It should have the correct mustache bar and rear diff. mount. I'll pick it up this weekend, stuff there is cheap. Do you know if my drive shaft will be the correct length with the 1983 5speed and the relocated diff? Thank you again for your help.

Thanks Dan for the drive shaft info, Yes 84mph in a 65 zone on a four lane hwy in the middle of nowhere was still to fast to be traveling on a 6 hour trip. I'll do my risk assessment and pick my battles more appropriately in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Reviving, seems like the best place for this question.

I've just set my differential back using a '72 curved mustache bar and the '72 curved rear lower control arm (LCA) crossmember. I flipped the front mount around 180 degrees, and it all bolted up... except for the strap that goes over the differential to keep the nose from popping up and tearing the bottom mount. It now passes directly over the nuts that secure the front diff mount, and is not long enough to make it over to the other side.

What is the solution for that strap? There's no obvious way to unbolt the mounts and shift them backwards. Did those of you who have already done this swap just run without the strap? Solid front diff mount?

I was able to slide the strap to the rear of the bolts. The strap is tight against the diff but it did fit. Or, you can make/buy a Ron Tyler style diff mount. Search for it and you will see it takes the place of the strap. Pretty self explainitory. Joe

My car never had the strap.

Best solution is to replace the strap with either a Ron Tyle type diff mount, or do any one of the low buck solutions to run a catch underneath the cross member. Look for stickies (I think) in the drivetrain section.

The stock isolator is a poor design and can be readily improved.